Logo

Mariner 45 4cyl

newb197

Contributing Member
Anyone know the part number for the bearing carrier/span nut remover? I have looked through and can only find 2 different kinds. The smaller of the two is supposedly for 4 cyl models. 75-150hp it says, but this motor is unusual as it has 4 cyl for only 45hp. This tool has a number of 91-61069 is this the right one? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

The 4 cylinder 45 HP is not really " unusual "---------Mercury has made that motor from the 1950's through to the 1990's.------Some were painted gray and marketed as Mariner.-------You could probably make up a removal tool with a piece of pipe and a grinder.

Racer 2, your always the first with a non-answer. If you worked for me I would fire you. Im not looking for some random knowledge or history lesson, thanks. Unusal in the tool listings area as is not listed anywhere I can see is what I meant. When I don't know something I usually just quiet down.. Looking for a part number. Pro's only please

Well rest assured its not under the shade tree where the pipe & grinder hang. I always try to be helpful to people. I do not understand sarcasm when professional-ism is supposed at hand. I am a recent 4.0 grad of MMI, that being said, I have been generally doing PWC & some mercruiser since then(2011) so I have a world of knowledge & piles of notes, just not the years experience yet. This is why I come here. Maybe my expectations just are too high.

I have 40+ years of outboard repair experience.----What I am seeing is folks who want an instant answer to their problems.-----I try to teach simple methods ( no money spent ) to trouble shoot before buing new parts.----------------Perhaps do a ---Google search --mercury special tools------Or call a good local dealer to order the tools you need.

If you want "professional" you hook up the trailer and drive to the nearest Mercury certified technician and open your wallet wide - that's if they will even lower themselves to work on a motor that can't be plugged into a DDT and puke out a list of what's wrong, which is then "replaced" not repaired.

This site is primarily here for 1) people how don't mind grabbing a screwdriver themselves 2) are too far away from a shop or can't find one that will work on their old motor 3) can't afford/not willing to pay north of 90 bucks an hour to have some "tech" poke at their motor.

And as far as being helpful - I welcome suggestions for "jury rigged tools" - most asking for advice on here are not willing to drop a hundred bucks or so on a "one time" tool that is only available through a OEM dealer.

And you wouldn't have to fire me - I would see no point in working for someone who knows everything and has a piece of paper on the wall that "proves" it - would make me redundant...

Again with the non-answers. You ought to be in the US congress, the both of you. Your 40 YRS of outdated experience is about equal to 2 yrs in todays marine world. If I need to adjust some points or check the dwell I’ll call you. Or maybe I’ll I desire to make a rectifier from some bent wires and a block of cheese. Otherwise I found another more reputable site and got my answers despite your great insight. Just as well, kind of sick of people trying to sell me junk parts from there sheds anyhow. And you are both far from professionals, believe me. Good thing your retired (I would hope). Good day.

Maybe my expectations just are too high.
newb197...come down off of your high horse and have some coffee. Suggesting an alternative to you is not a bad thing. Some here make their own tools. Being rude and sarcastic isn't very professional on your part. If it isn't the answer that you want just say thank you and go about your business searching for it. All of us have different levels of expertise and experience and always try to help in any manner possible. Maybe you should review your notes on "Customer Relations 101". I'm close to becoming a "Gold Member" w/9,935 posts...it means nothing and nobody cares. By the way...there is a full moon out tonight.

He wont fire anyone...with an attitude like that he will never have the authority...he is probably pissed because he cant plug a computer into the motor and replace some easy to replace shiny new part...his boss probably gave him that job on purpose...a 50 merc is an unusual motor?....where has he been?

Sometimes these colleges promote themselves and tell students " we will teach you to be a professional in 6 months " ----In the marine indudtry it takes just a little longer to be fully competent in dealing with motors / engines / and the public / boat owner with many years hands on.

We can probably let this one rest. By next year he will have about a hundred years worth of experience and maybe will have figured out by then if you crack the service manual for a given model it gives you the tools you will need (including Merc part numbers for the tools).

Must of been sleeping that day in class....

I just want to say, I am grateful for all the help you guys have given me on my motors over the years. I have a great deal of respect for each of you and your advice. Last time I checked your were volunteering your time and knowledge. Thank you and don't let this jerk ruin what you do for everyone. If he worked for me and yes I have several pieces of paper and would be the CEO of his company, I would send him down the road just for his attitude. I run a multi-million dollar company everyday and play with old outboard motors on the side for fun. Thank you all for your service. I do this for fun and don't take myself too seriously.

If I don't know an answer, I usually shut up. They taught us that first day of school. Apparently that's not covered under the shade tree schooling. Free advice is good advice?? Come on now bubba gump..

Your 40 YRS of outdated experience is about equal to 2 yrs in todays marine world.
Whats really odd about this statement is that DEALERS call me to do sublet work(new & old motors) as the newbies from schools like MMI cant repair anything. These schools take your money, give you access to manufactures websites, call you a 4 star tech and tell you all the $$ your going to make in marine business. I hired one several years ago and he could not remove the lower unit off a 99 johnson 200 nor figure out how to remove carbs on a 86 40hp. I figured if I was going to have to pay to train him I would hire a different person to make it worthwhile.

I hired one several years ago and he could not remove the lower unit off a 99 johnson 200 nor figure out how to remove carbs on a 86 40hp.

You are lucky there. If he had got the carbs off he would still be at the bench trying to figure out where the DDT harness plugs in....

Back