Logo

Mariner 40

"Just hoping to find some info

"Just hoping to find some infomation about a mariner 40E outboard, i believe the purchase yr was 1984 but im not sure, the number is 6E9 L 412323. I am trying to gather info about who actually made it, if it has a good reputation, hopefully its a decent engine, and whether or not i can add a tachometer to it. i appreciate any information and help! thanks in advance

-FG"

"Clark, yes it is a 1984, &#34

"Clark, yes it is a 1984, "C" model electric start, long shaft, 100% Yamaha built (as noted by London Marine), for Mercury and dressed as a Mariner.

Well built motors although personally I prefer the Merc Thunderbolt ignitions over the CDI style on the Yami's.

The model is now discontinued so in some cases parts may be difficult to locate depending on what you may be after (at some future time).

Fairly simple process to install a tach - simply fed from the rectifier that also charges the battery. Any marine dealer can help you with selection."

"For the tach would it just be

"For the tach would it just be tach feed to rectifier, power to battery and ground to neg battery?

This engine is an '84 and has only been used to take the boat off the trailer and to load it back on, so theres no telling how many or few hours are on it.

im hoping the tach will allow me to prop this boat correctly, 27mph WOT just seems a tad slow for a 400lb boat.

Thanks for the responses and the information! it is greatly appreciated!

-FG"

You got it Clark. Tach signal

You got it Clark. Tach signal usually feeds from the grey wire at the rectifier (haven't seen enough of the Yami engines that I remember right off if they have a grey wire) - then power to power and ground to ground....

"In this same motor, i always

"In this same motor, i always hear about replacing the water pump periodically. Is this simply replacing the impeller? or is there more to it then that. Being that this engine is a 1984, and i dont know when it was last serviced, for the cooling system i didnt have any ideas of where to start. Any thoughts? Is this simple servicing? Do it at home kinda stuff? Thanks guys!

-FG"

"Clark, with any motor regardl

"Clark, with any motor regardless of mfg, most recommend in their manuals to replace the "impeller" once a year or at 100 hours. The new ETEC's advertise 3 year intervals. Now that may be fine in a warm climate where the motor spends most of it's time in the water. In most other climates I do not believe that is often enough.

What I personally do is change at 2 year intervals. And every second time I put in a "kit".

For Mercs/Mariners there is generally 3 different "kits" - one simply an impeller and gasket - the next up contains (additionally) a couple of seals, a plate and a new guide tube - and the top end kit also contains a new base and cover with the extra seals.

I don't use the 3rd kit unless called for by the condition of the lower unit (ie, minor water intrusion).

So say this year I change only the impeller. Two years from now I will put in the kit with limited seals, then back to just an impeller - on and on.

That has worked well on my 1986/87/another 87 and 91 motors - never had an impeller failure, lower unit leak or an overheat. All have well over 1000 hours each (probably over 2000 in the case of a couple of them)...

It is simple to do, invest 35 bucks in a Selocs (not Clymers) manual - it's a great help..."

"I take it these kits are easi

"I take it these kits are easily found? Ill call around and pick up a manual, thanks for the tip on the company for the book. I figure if i can rebuild car engines , then hopefully id be able to figure out a water pump kit! thanks again!

-FG"

"Yes Clark, fairly simple job.

"Yes Clark, fairly simple job. You can get kits etc from a Merc dealer but can be pricey.

Andrew, who runs this site sells parts - see upper right of this page - can at least get you an impeller for sure. You can also watch ebay, particularly off season, get some good deals on OEM parts..."

Back