Logo

Mariner 40 ML

"You have to determine whether

"You have to determine whether you are losing spark (ignition problem) or have a fuel issue.

I could guess at any number of potential issues, but troubleshooting is the only real way to isolate the problem..."

I have A
Yamaha 40ML
6E9 L

I have A
Yamaha 40ML
6E9 L 316470

this is pretty much all i know can any body tell me any more?

"Steven, that is a 1989 model.

"Steven, that is a 1989 model. According to the serial that will be a manual start (rope start), "C" model Mariner built by Yamaha for Mercury and marketed mostly in Europe and Asia.

This however was an immensely popular model and ended up worldwide.

1989 was the last year that "run" was produced which began in 1982.

This series of motors was styled and built based on Yamaha's own 6E9 series which they produced between 1981-83."

You can get one right from thi

You can get one right from this site - see upper right. Andrew who runs this board sells both hard copy and on-line electronic manuals - and his prices are decent....

"Yamaha 40ML 6E9 L 316470

"Yamaha 40ML 6E9 L 316470

I haven't yet bought a manual, I have started it to begin with it sounded good but then died. I had to cut back ignition leads to get a spark. I have looked everywhere for a new ignition coil, do you know where I can buy a new Ignition Coil.

Also I could do with a new impeller kit."

"Steven, the coil is Merc part

"Steven, the coil is Merc part number 84874T - available through any Merc dealer, but will set you back about 125 bucks.

Waterpump kits are also available from Merc - part number 84363T - also pricey at about 115 bucks, but there is no aftermarket kit available for this particular model."

"Hello,

We have Mariner mod

"Hello,

We have Mariner model 30ML 689 L 325878, can you tell something about this one, thanks very much!!

Ari"

"Ari - what exactly do you wan

"Ari - what exactly do you want to know.

It is a 1985 model, referred to as an "A" model, manual start, long shaft.

It was built by Yamaha (in Japan) for Mercury and dressed as a Mariner. The target market was Asia and Europe.

The model line is now long discontinued and while parts are still available in most cases, some may be difficult to find.

Your motor was based on Yamaha's own line of 30 horse motors that they produced between 1979-85. Most Yamaha built Mariners were like that - when Yamaha improved something they sold it as their own and continued to produce the old design for Mercury (helped get rid of whatever old parts they had laying around).

That doesn't mean that the motor is inferior - it is well designed and well built, but usually just slightly behind in technology compared to other motors of the same vintage....

Anything else??"

"I just purchased a 13 ft bost

"I just purchased a 13 ft boston whaler with a 40HP Mariner motor. The model number on the engine is 6E9 L 416212. 2 questions, what year is this motor, and what would be the optimum prop for this set up (the prop is beaten up pretty badly and I need to replace it). Thanks for any help you can give me!"

"I'm a 1st time pontoon bo

"I'm a 1st time pontoon boat owner.
Mariner oil injected 40 elo 6e9 l 429480.
Wondering what year it is, my guess is it's a 1987.
I can not keep it running . It is blowing tons of blue smoke for 5-10 seconds 7 stalls. Gas filter & pump seem to be fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
gatestuff"

"Guys, you should start new di

"Guys, you should start new discussions - your questions will get lost in the pile of threads here.

Donald, you have an 88 model, built by Yamaha. Is the oil system still there? it would have be a system called autoblend - tank remote to the engine itself - fuel line goes to the oil tank then fuel line from oil tank up to the engine. If that's your set-up, rip it out and start mixing your gas at 50:1 - Autoblend was a nightmare that killed more motors than any other single cause.

Any motor that is "new to you" should be gone over completely - the smoke and the stalling could be caused by clogs in the carb - but start with the basics.

Check the compression/spark at all cylinders - replace the plugs, lower unit oil and the impeller (unless you have proof that it was done "this year") - then start troubleshooting.

Used Boat dude - that is a 1984 Yamaha built "C" model mariner.

Selecting a prop requires a fair bit of information - there is no "one size fits all answer" - it must be specifically matched to your rig and how you use it.

Would suggest the following - either start a new discussion and can ask you for some details, or click my name (to the left) and drop me an email. I have a prop calculator which can give you a recommendation specific to your application - just needs some info..."

"I have a mercury 40hp, 2cyl,

"I have a mercury 40hp, 2cyl, 2 stroke engine. I cannot get the idle down on it. If I turn the idle/mixture screw in it will idle even faster but if I back out the screw it doesn't have much of an effect. I can back it all the way out and it still idles fast. I don't know the rpm's but it is fast. Help. Thank you."

"Please help!

I Have a Yama

"Please help!

I Have a Yamaha 40ML 6E9 L 316470 and i was kindly given a part number for a ignition coil which was:84874T by Graham. I searched for the part and found a picture on: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=+84952&ivar=images/MERMAR /84952/9.png&inbr=655&bnbr=40&bdesc=C.D.I+IGNITION+COMPONENTS which cost 108 dollars. I decided to see if my local marine dealer kept this part in stock and was given this part number: 814990T. Searched again and found a picture at: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=814840&ivar=images/MERMAR /814840/9.png&inbr=544&bnbr=40&bdesc=MAGNETO and costs 129 dollars. They look identical, I'm confused to which part is for my engine."

"Steven, the part number I gav

"Steven, the part number I gave you (84874T) is what is listed for serial numbers 6E9-309344 thru 6E9-35000, twin carb, manual start, long shaft with "auto blend".

Part 814990T fits 1990 Mariners that have "under the hood" oil injection.

I would ask your dealer to recheck his parts list based on your "serial number"...."

I have a 1987 40hp Mariner and

I have a 1987 40hp Mariner and it starts fine and will run well for a few hours on the lake. The last time out I had it in neutral waiting to trailer the boat and it cut off and would not start again until I got home. This has happened a couple of times this year. I had old gas initially and removed it. I had the valve to the gas take not properly vented and corrected that. I'm replacing the fuel line today. Can any body help me?

I have a 1987 2 stroke O/B 40h

I have a 1987 2 stroke O/B 40hp Mariner and it starts fine and will run well for a few hours on the lake. The last time out I had it in neutral waiting to trailer the boat and it cut off and would not start again until I got home. This has happened a couple of times this year. I had old gas initially and removed it. I had the valve to the gas take not properly vented and corrected that. I'm replacing the fuel line today. Can any body help me?

"[url=""]http://www.marineengi

"http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=12479&post=148593#POST14 8593
Engine Idling problem with my 1982 mercury 40hp 2cylinder 2 stroke engine. I cannot get the idling speed down no matter what I try. I put in a new Carb kit no help. I removed the throttle cam to make sure the throttle plate is closed. It still idles too fast and adjusting the Idle/mixture screw doesn't help. If I adjust it all the way in the engine will die. I can back it all the way out and the idle is still too fast.I have loosen the two screws holding the throttle plate to the shaft and allowed the plate to seat itself and then re-tighten the screws. Still not able to get the idle speed down. I put the foot in a garbage can filled with water and that seem to help somewhat. Is there anything else I can do? Please help if you can. Thank you."

"hi,i have a 50hp mariner 1989

"hi,i have a 50hp mariner 1989,on a 14.6 foot bayliner open bow boat.my question is ,could i use my 1994 buick 2.2 litre ,front wheel drive,to tow the boat?"

I Have a Yamaha 40ML 6E9 L 316

I Have a Yamaha 40ML 6E9 L 316470

Where Can i get thermostat with gaskets and a fuel filter?

I have a part no. for a water pump kit: Quicksiver 46-77177A 3

Is this the correct kit for my engine?

"Wow,I must of googled for ser

"Wow,I must of googled for serial number(year) information 100's of times and never found this site.
Mr.G.Lamb you seem to be the man when looking for this infomation,so I'd like to thank you in advance.
My motor is 30ML 689 L 328778 Made in Japan,by reading this thread I'm thinking around 85-87 year outboard ,would this be correct?"

"Hello I am so glad I came acr

"Hello I am so glad I came across your site. I do not own a boat as yet. I am very interested in investing in one. I am so glad reading a lot of the questions about engine problems before buying my first boat. My question is, could you suggest to me spending around $1000 to $1500 on a boat. I realize that is not a lot. I am not a fisherman just would like to go out and enjoy Gods beauty in the summer, with friends and family. and let me add that I would like it to pull some one in a water tub if possible. thank you so much again in advance for your help.

Frank
In Vermont"

"I have what I believe a 1982

"I have what I believe a 1982 40 hp mariner,the problem I am having the motor will run fine for awhile then one day you go out to start it will run for about a minute or so then will cut out and will not start back up I drain the fuel pump and crank it over a little and it will start without the fuel tank hooked up colud be my problem. Thank you"

We just bought a used 20hp Mar

We just bought a used 20hp Mariner (I think a 1997 model). It ran fine the first day (though a little tough to start). The second day it would start but then kept stalling. We already replaced the spark plugs. Any idea why this is happenning? Thank you!

mariner/yamaha 2 cyl twin carb

mariner/yamaha 2 cyl twin carb ign. checks.....any info greatly appreciated. coils stator/ charging etc

"I just purchased a boat with

"I just purchased a boat with a Mariner 30 hp 2 stroke. I was wondering if you could please tell me the year of this motor and where I can find a good manual? Also, is this a Yamaha built motor? Thank you.
Model 30ML
Code 689L
Serial NO. 327810"

Don't know for sure but mi

Don't know for sure but mine is a 30ML 689 L 328778 and it's a 1986.Built by Yamaha;model"A" and I can thank this forum for telling me this.There was a brunswick download to find the years but I can't get it to load up.
http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/download/dosearch/@isnew/desc;jsessionid=1uqil925fcgpf?lang=EN&categories=Outboard$&mod=17
This is the link...works today

"Can anyone help me with some

"Can anyone help me with some info on a mariner 40 hp, serial no: 40BM 676BL301072. Just bought a boat on ebay, seems OK. Didn't get any info on outboard, thanks"

Back