Logo

Mariner 40 help

chevyman0429

Gentlemen I have a Mariner 40 that I could use some help with. Tag says 40 EL 6E9 L 421476. What year is this motor and where do i find parts? Boat runs great on land but once in the water it barely runs when i try to take off. I did get it to run like normal if i play with the choke and find a specific spot. Idles great. Im thinking maybe the coils bad so i was going to replace it but i Need to know what year I have. Thanks

Why would you think the coils are bad ??----Time to do some testing / clean the carburetors I think.
Yea i have been told by 2 people they had the same issue and turned out to be there coil however as im typing this my boat has one coil with 2 plug wires coming off it. So i would think if the coil was bad it probably wouldnt run at all. I consider myself a dam good backyard mechanic with cars but this boat has got me stumped. I had both carbs off and rebuilt them both. Not one spec of any in them and i mean nothing.

If operating the choke helps , I would think it points to a fuel issue.---- But try a coil as they are not that expensive.

Back