Logo

Mariner 30hp 2stroke set-up

mister p

I have an early/mid nineties engine in good condition. I need it to idle smoothly and predictably and also need to achieve w.o.t. For full thrust on a 15 inch prop. The boat's a 4m. Avon searider.
Currently i can't get an even idle neither do i know if the engine is achieving full throttle/power when my remote is pushed to the stop.
Engine runs smoothly and cleanly otherwise.
Where do i start and where do i finish......? I'm not fearful of mechanics but i have motorbike and car experience. I understand that initial throttle openings are timing related, the carb coming into play after half way.
I just need to know the datums and which adjust works and which messes things up further.
A plug chop reveals a good clean burn.........new plugs, clean carb, good cooling and 50:1 fuel.
Alex

That motor is NOT a smooth idler, so don't expect too much. You need to start by timing the motor, then settting the carb opening synchronization per spec. Obviously you'll need a manual, such as those sold on this site.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'll have a go in that order after getting the manual. But it's good to know that the idle is like that anyway, saves me trying to fix the unfixable.

Back