Logo

Marine or Automotive

sgthoffer

Contributing Member
"I was wondering what would ha

"I was wondering what would happen if anything, if I installed a 4 barrel carb and maybe a blower on my omc 305 engine. I found one cheap that will fit it, that is for a chevy 305, will this work? and do you think it would be noticable power. My boat is always garage kept, never docked, and never in salt water, if that helps you make up your mind."

"I know that on a marine carb

"I know that on a marine carb the jets and floats are different than that on the automobile. That would be the main issue. Don't think there are any safety issues, you just wouldn't want to use electrical components like the alternator, starter or distributor from a car as the marine versions are spark/flame protected. You would want to reuse your flame arrestor air cleaner though. Adding a blower will surely increase your power, you would want to check your drive specs to see if it can handle the extra HP. You also would need to talk to someone with knowledge in the engine department about adding a blower. The engine may not be able to handle the added HP. I believe most engines that have a blower are built (four bolts main, stuff like that). Also, I believe blown engines need a lower compression ratio. I remember in high school a friend of mine put a turbo on his engine, the motor could not handle the power and blew up. A turbo is different from a blower but you get the idea."

"Don't forget on marine th

"Don't forget on marine there is an overflow hose that goes from the fuel pump to the carb incase of a fuel pump rupture, not sure how that would attach on an automotive carb?"

"For these reasons an automoti

"For these reasons an automotive carburetor should NEVER be used in a marine application.

Point taken, I know where some of my money will be going now..lol.. Towards a MARINE Carb"

Back