Logo

Manual starter hard to pull

arthurf

Hi New here, so bear with me.
My son has a 1981 (I think) Evinrude 35 HP outboard which has not been used for some time (best guess about a year).
The pull cord on the engine can be pulled all the way out, but not fast enough to start the engine.
In neutral the propeller turns freely - does this imply something "dragging" in the top end of the engine?
Any suggestions on what to check or where the problem may lie? (the engine has normally been cleaned after being used in salt water).

Any help appreciated. arthurf

I assume that what you're saying is that the manual starter itself is okay... BUT... there is excessive drag of either the power-head or the lower unit that results in excessive force/pulling power being exerted by the one pulling the starter cord?

If so, remove the lower unit to determine which component it the faulty one.

If the above assumption is not the case, we need a more defined explanation.

G'day joereeves, thanks for the reply. As you will likely discover I am not quite sure what I am talking about and know very, very little about outboard engines. However I believe that what you have indicated sounds like our problem.

So to help me try to work out the problem can you please clarify what the "power-head" and the "lower unit" are. From what I can see pulling the cord s OK, but there is a resistance/drag further down somewhere. Can I take off the "lower unit" without starting at the top and stripping off everything? (BTW I am very comfortable with motorcycle/car engines and can carry out most tasks on them - so I am not completely incapable in stripping and rebuilding the bikes).
Thanks, Arthur

How old is the impeller? Have you changed the gearoil? If your going to be doing the work get a good service manual. If it is still hard to pull when you remove the plugs then remove the gearbox. You can start it without the gearbox for short spurts just dont let it get too hot.

G'day All, Lovely to get this help and information. I have now taken out the spark plugs and the pull start cord puls considerably easier.

Age of impellor - I would guess never changed (is this what sucks up the water to cool the engine, and then spit it out under the engine casing? If yes that appears to work, when pulling the start cord with plugs out some water came out the little out tube). Likely that since my son got the boat zero maintenance done. Service Manual - next task!

Thanks for the guidance, any more test I can carry out?
Thanks, Arthurf

Yea they can be a bitch to cold start especially with good compression. My guess is it is a tiller motor? You can add a electric start fairly easy just be sure and add the safety switch. These motors can easily throw you off the back of the boat without a safety in place. You will need a starter, bracket, harness, solenoid and switch and just put a push button on the engine. Kit # 0173964 has everything you need or you can do it piece meal or find a cheap motor with a blown engine that has the parts necessary? With the plugs out check for spark with a spark gap tester it should jump a open air gap of at least 7/16 inch brite blue snap?

Dear All, Many thanks for the replies and assistance. So the engine is 1981 Model E25RLCIM, and the manual starter is hard to pull. With no spark plugs in the engine turns over easily and quickly. With no spark plugs and taking off the pull starter the engine can be turned over by hand with little or no problem. Even with 1 spark plug back into the engines the "hard to pull" problems comes back.
Because there has likely been no maintenance on the engine, I am thinking it may be the gearbox (little or no oil, or badly corroded oil); but before going further I hope to find out if the gearbox (even in neutral) is spun around when starting the engine? Maybe a change of oil is the next step?.
Comments/replies appreciated.
Oh by the way, my son is not prepared to put on electric start - he wants the boat/engine working and he will sell it off - not used enough to merit hanging on to it.
Thanks, ArthurF

Back