Logo

Mando Alternator bracket with power steering merc 5.7l need to change advice

Bob & Sue

Contributing Member
Has anyone changed the alternator bracket on a 99 mercruiser 5.7l # 0l075477 with power steering mine is bent from the serpentine belt pressure squeal is driving me crazy there was a recall on it I have the new one. It looks like the power steering unit needs to be removed has anyone done this? Do I need to remove any hydraulic hoses really don't want to if I can get out of it. I'm also going to replace sea water pump and bracket at the same time same recall. Probably will do it after winter crab season.​

Attachments

• bracket pump.jpg
    bracket pump.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 9,336
Bob, I doubt that any hydraulic lines need to be removed for this.

On another note, if that bilge pump is your only bigle pump in the engine bay, you may want to consider replacing it with a pump large enough to handle some water.
That is simply too small for a main engine bay bilge pump, IMO.

It looks like the power steering unit needs to be removed has anyone done this? Do I need to remove any hydraulic hoses really don't want to if I can get out of it.

Ayuh,.... Removing the P/S lines is as simple as turnin' the nut on the hi-pressure side, or the hose clamp on the low-pressure side...

Since we bought our boat last June I have been fighting a serpentine belt squeal I changed belts, idler pulleys and just about every remedy I found on line it would go away for sometimes a week then return. Finally I found an old recall notice from mercruiser for the alternator, power steering and oil filter bracket also included a recall on the sea water pump bracket. If you take a straight edge and check the pulley alignment to the crank pulley mine were off about 1/8" on the sea water pump about 1/4" on the alternator pulley. This recall covers a lot of engines built from the mid 90's to 2002 it expired in 2004 for mercruiser to pay for repairs my Sea Ray dealer did pay for the brackets if I did the labor.
Yesterday I finally put the new sea water pump and bracket on (will rebuild the old one for a spare) then replaced the alternator bracket that bracket was one real pain you need to remove half the front port side of the engine. I started at 9:00 am finished at about 3:00 pm launched the boat after running on muffs looking for any leaks before launching out for a test ride squeal is finally gone. The pulleys now are all in line.​

Back