Logo

Major Oil Leak.

mcguire4202000

Let me start by saying any advise is very much appreciated!!!.

I bought a 1981 Evinrude 25hp. Model E25RCIM. After spending much time on the carb. I finally got it running. Next I put in the old bucket to cool and idle for awhile. I put into gear and look at the bucket and oil is every where. See below. Oil is coming from every water drain hole in the exhaust housing. I took the foot off to see if any seals were bad, and oil and water are all inside the exhaust housing. The foot/gear case looks ok and it looks like no water has gotten into the foot. Any ideas?????

2012-04-18.jpg

Common for new boater to be alarmed by this !----------This is somewhat normal on a 2 stroke running / idling in a barrel.-----------------Is it running on both cylinders ? have you checked the fuel pump diaphragm ?--------Is the thermostat installed and working?

yeah ive often wondered if two stroke oil is made to be better at biodegrading after seeing a few fleets out in the harbour.
I suppose your running 50/1

Thanks for the reply.
OK, so this is normal? If so does it ever stop? I have had (4 or 5) 2 strokes outboards before and I have never seen this. I am running 50:1 mixture. You you mentioned running on both cylinders and the thermostat. How would I go about checking these out? I did take off the fuel pump when I was working on the carb. and it is clean and diaphragm installed and free moving. Could this not be coming from the gear case? Once again any help is awesome.

Back