Logo

Mag 1 TCW3

SuperT

Regular Contributor
A friend gave me two gallons of this oil and I've never used this brand. I normally stay with Evinrude oil. Has anyone here used it? Opinions?
Thanks

If it is genuinely TC-W3 certified by NMMA then you can use it with confidence wherever a TC-W3 oil is specified.

'95 70hp Johnson tiller

Then use XD 50 as suggested by the excitable fellow from Dockside Marine Services.

You can safely use the Mag 1 oil for any smaller, older engines which require nothing more than a basic TC-W3 oil

Thanks for the reply's guys. I do not have any "new" engines by today's standards -'57 3hp Evinrude, '82 4.5 Johnson and a '86 15hp Johnson besides the 70. All are well taken care of and stay inside in garage (heated in winter) and out of the weather. I shudder when I see unprotected boats & engines sitting in drives/yards through out the winter when we can reach temps of -30 and 3-4ft of snow.

The 70 and 4.5 get the most use because their on my Lund Pro V.
The other two get exercised from time to time otherwise stay on the engine stand. I always use storage seal in the engines and fresh LU grease whenever they will be put up for extended amount of time.
The two "neglected" engines are hard to part with when I look at the cost of new engines today.
I always use E-free gas which is easy to get as a gallon of milk up here in the north woods and a shot of Seafoam.

Last edited:
Some folks have deep pockets and short arms and want to look after stuff.-----Then there are those with the same arms and shallow pockets and can reach the money.-----They can neglect the stuff because they are working full time to buy the latest greatest new stuff every few years.-----Or if you have to work hard for your money you tend to maintain your toys as well.-----Money you did not work for is easy to spend.-----Just look at that fellow who is still wanting to build a wall I think.

Back