Logo

MA or NH shop who will follow Stuartbs instructions

matawanakee

"Two mechanics, hundreds and h

"Two mechanics, hundreds and hundreds of dollars, print outs of Hastings information and my 1991 Renken 3.0 liter with OMC Cobra (King, I think) still does not work. Mostly no reverse or no fast reverse, shifts hard, sometimes at no wake speed will not come out of forward, often too hard to shift into reverse.

Shift cables upper and lower have been replaced more than once... they all just shake their heads and say buy a new boat. I need a shop that will read the material from Hastings and fix my boat.

I just talked to a guy who is certified to fix almost everything... he thinks it is the ESA and said to bring it in.

Could it be that simple? Can anyone recommend someone in Central Ma to Central NH who can fix this. I have gotten really good at landing this boat without reverse, but it is not fun.

IG"

"Carolyn, Unfortunately, the

"Carolyn, Unfortunately, the OMCs were at one time the bread and butter for marine shops.
Lots of ESA issues.
Lots of other issues for the larger engines.

The ESA usually involves only a simple adjustment that most want to make a brain surgery ordeal out of.
That being said, a lower shift cable can be a part of the problem with these also!
It isn't always the ESA.

Let's back up here:
First you must know that Dog Clutch shifting is what you have with the 3.0L and Cobra drive.
Going INTO gear is rarely the issue.
It is coming back OUT OF GEAR into neutral that poses the problem with Dog Clutch type engagement.
The dog teeth do not want to let go while the propeller is continuing to be under thrust load.
(have you ever noticed how easily the drive goes into neutral if the boat is moving forward faster than normal????)

So to aid in this, the ESA (electronic shift assist) causes the engine to momentarily stumble.
As the engine RPM drops, these teeth can let go!
You now have a free and easy shift out of gear.

Yes, Stuart Hasting does a great job of explaining this.
If a shop foo-foos the Hastings info, then I don't know what to tell you!

Are you aware that the Cobra drive can be replaced with the Volvo Penta SX or DP S drive?
A kit is required!
No more dog clutch.... no more ESA.
Only smooth Cone Clutch shifting from that point on!

Food for thought!

."

"[url=""]http://www.dougrussel

"http://www.dougrussell.com

They are also a full service. Probably the best on the east coast, want it fixed, cause i won't travel to MA if your were in NJ then i would take a look at it.

I's a hobby to me, they are pros."

"Doug Russell's a ittle ex

"Doug Russell's a ittle expensive but good.. they used to stock a lot of parts.. good shop, I've been there and bought from there.. never had a boat serviced there ( DO my own work )

ps I say the ESA is bad.. If you added Electronic Ignition you'll need a new unit from CDI Electric."

Back