Logo

M90A Wiring Harness

whaler_warner

Contributing Member
Hi Guys,

I took on a project boat which came with a "free" 1995 Tohatsu 90, it was lightly stripped and I am just putting it back together so I can crank it over and check compression before going much further.

under the CDI unit there is a large plug (plus two additional wires pink and light green) which connects the motor to the control box (I have the control box) but not the wiring harness.

Looking up the part number I can only find "new" which is expensive.

I have seen a few used Tohatsu harnesses which have been cut off boats but look like they have a similar plug on ebay all with different part numbers to the part number listed for the 90 but does anyone know if say a 50/70 will plug in and I can use to hook up to the control box?

Is the CD connected to the harness under the flywheel? The RC box does not connect to the CD.

Sorry maybe wasn't clear, pic attached basically I need something to plug into this connector so I can figure out the wiring into the existing control box / starter key/ kill cord.
m90a connector.jpg

The 40D2 through 90A all use the same RC box. Just a matter of whether you have power tilt. If you have non-Tohatsu controls, or binnacle controls, you need
3A3761151MCORD ASSY B (20 FT.)$159.63
That does not have a single connector at the control box end; rather each wire is discreet.
The color code is identical on all Tohatsu RC systems, so you shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul that's really useful, I think its a genuine Toahatsu top mount but the wires are bullet connectors rather than a single connector, I believe 3A3761150 Cord B replaced the part number you mentioned above would also be ok and just cut off the connector one end.

Just to add I am reluctant to shell out $160 into a motor I don't know runs yet, any idea whether the motor will run without the connector attached (if I power the starter motor directly to crank it) or if I need to bridge some of the wires on the connector to bypass the kill cord circuit etc?

The 1151 is a newer part number, superceding the 1150.
Yes, you can jumper the start solenoid to crank.
The kill circuit is the brown wire. If that grounds to black, it will kill the motor.
Full info is in the Factory service manual, available from any dealer.

Back