Logo

M30A2 motor

fivebraids

"I bought a used 14' jon b

"I bought a used 14' jon boat a few years ago intending to use it for fishing local lakes and rivers. The boat came with a Tohatsu M30A2 electric start 30HP motor on it.

The motor runs great, starts first turn of the key everytime, is great on gas, etc.

I just recently found out that the motor is a 1985 model that is actually intended for SALT WATER!

What are the differences, and is there anything I should be concerned about, or do differently than I would for a fresh water motor?

Also, is there anywhere I can get a parts and service manual for this motor? The one on this site (and Clymer) states it's for 1992 and newer models. The ones on HelmInc only cover "C" and "D" models, not the "A" that I have.

Thanks in advance...and thanks for the wealth of information already shared and archived on this forum."

"Intended for saltwater means

"Intended for saltwater means that it is designed for the harsh environment of saltwater....Freshwater is easy on an engine so you don't need to do anything. If you had a freshwater engine and were using it in saltwater you would be up the creek. The correct manual for your model can be found at the link below:

http://internetoutboards.com/partdetail.asp?id=579

The C and D you are referring to are for a 40 hp."

"Thanks for the quick response

"Thanks for the quick response and the good news!

And thanks for the link to that manual. It's clearly the one for me, since the comments on it say it's the 'idiots' version. I'm still debating on whether or not I should get the manual, or just bite the bullet and try to find a local dealer/mechanic to do some maintenance on the motor...

As long as I have your attention, I have one additional question. While poking around on the web, I found the section of the Tohatsu site that describes changing the oil in the lower unit.

Since I've had the motor a few years, and I KNOW that oil hasn't been changed, I figured I had better get it done...and the instructions were clear and simple enough.

I followed the instructions on emptying the old oil (although it was more like black sludge than oil). After flushing a few times with fresh oil to get all the black gunk out, I filled it per instructions and tightened evertyhing up.

On my way back to the garage I happened to notice that the gallon jug of 90w gear oil I had on hand, (that I use in my farm tractor and Harley), is GL1, not GL5 as recommended. Searching a little, the best I can find is that GL5 has additives (sulphur and such), and GL1 is purer mineral oil.

Will I be ok running this oil in the lower unit, or is there something in the GL5 that I must have?

After reading some of your past responses to other posters, I'm prepared for a "get the recommended stuff" sort of response. I'm really wondering if I'll be alright for a few hours on the river this weekend, or if I need to drain and refill with GL5 BEFORE I take the boat out.

Thanks again..."

"The difference is anti foamin

"The difference is anti foaming additives and some water inhibitor additives. Your fine for a weekend, but long term would be an issue."

"Thanks Guru!

We're out

"Thanks Guru!

We're out in the boonies, so picking up GL5 isn't as easy as it should be. I'll make a point of getting some as soon as possible and changing it out.

Have a FANTASTIC weekend...and thanks again...
- Marty -"

Back