Logo

lower unit

n8ghf

last weekend I went rock hunting and found one. lower unit of my 72 evinrude 65hp totaled. I found one off a 55hp johnson and got it seems to be stuck in foward, checked oil and it had gear lube in it, drained it and put in ATF, still no luck. dont know what to do next. please help me

When the motor is not running it should be in forward.----------Once the motor / shaft makes one turn ( with 12 volts applied to the green ) it should go into nuetral.--------------The bearing set-up on a 55 is slightly different but it will fit.

Last night I worked on it a little nore, I found that I had power to the green wire where it comes out of the moter. when I pushed nuetral I got power to both, comming out of the coils. and are both of the coils supposed to be live making the whole unit hot? I want to check the coils are good before I put the lower unit back on.

In forward there is no power to the solenoids, it is spring loaded to be in forward .------When motor is not running it will be / should be in forward gear.---------------Motor running / turning with starter and 12 volts to green it goes into nuetral after ~ 1 turn of the crankshaft.-----------Motor running and 12 volts to green and blue together it goes into reverse.--------Both coils reading the same OHMS is a very good test.

I found it had 70/90 gear lube in it and drained and put in ATF. Coils check out on an OHM meter. so now I wonder if having gear lube in it has dammaged the pump? I'm hoping worst case I can take the guts out if my old one and put it in this new case, the only thing missing is the shift dog.???

The pump in the 72 is different ----------------The parts on these 2 unit ( if original ) are not the same.-----------Wrong gearlube will not damage the pump !!!------------------Study carefully before diving in to the project.

I just ran a ground to the engine and got the readings I needed now I am going to put it back on and try it again. I will keep my fingers crossed. wish me luck.

well I'm making progress. I now have foward and reverse but no neuturel. I wonder if I have the coils hooked up backwards? Both were green in the 55 unit. It worries me it will go foward to reverse.

Well I switched the wires around and wella, everything works like it is supposed to. Am going down to get the proper oil for it tomarrow and go to the river and try it out.this is the therd tank of fuel I've run throuth it , the first two I had carb cleaner in and this one Sea Foam, It is sounding much better now so maybe we can go out and realy enjoy it. Racerone I tip my hat to you, you were a big help Thank you very much.

Back