Logo

Lower Unit Seals

ocwebers

I have a 1961 Kiekhaefer Mercury 500 and removed pressure tested the lower unit. Leaking around the drive shaft. I have removed the upper oil seal and impeller and will replace both but not having success removing the water pump cartridge insert and cartridge to get to the oil seal below the cartridge. What is the downside to just replacing the upper seal?

Check for a screw marked FLUSH on the starboard side of the LU just under a spray plate, and if there's one unscrew it to loosen the waterpump. Use 2 screwdrivers 180* on sides of pump body and pry. The lower seal is the most important it seals the LU.Lower-Unitsdriveshaftsmall.jpg

Thats the one, except someone previously painted the lower half below the cowl black :(
Been in touch with John, thanks again! This old engine is certainly going to be a project.
I've cleaned the carbs, reassembled and reinstalled along with some other engine maintenance.
Have some oil on order to mix with the gas and need to pick up a battery.
Going to make sure I can get it running first before I put in any more time and money into the lower unit.
Taking a break for a few days and then heading out of town for a week so putting things on hold until I get back.
Once I decide to move forward with the lower unit work, I will get back in touch with John.
Do you have any info or sources on info on ole Nylox boats? Trying to figure out the year and model on the one I acquired with the engine.

Mine was hard to change on a Merc 1983 70 that sat in a yard on a boat for a quarter century. I have many tools and seldom buy any but at Lowes the smallest nail puller tool did the trick.

Back