Logo

Lower unit repairs

I have 2 lower units that are in pretty decent shape. One has a busted cavitation plate that I have the broken piece for (I think a competent welder could easily fix) and the other had a little water in with the gear oil. One came off of a 1975 25 HP 25502B and the other came off of a 1973 18HP 18304A. I am wondering if there is anybody that would be willing to trade me a couple of good pressure checked lower units for my lower units plus some cash?? I am in Washington State by the way.

It's a tough task to value your lower units without an inspection. Did you price out getting them rebuilt locally? Are they partially dismantled? Photos of parts would be helpful. You should be able to get that part welded. If the rest of the unit is good, then you will KNOW what you have. A simple weld on the anti-cavitation plate should run about $100. That might even include a skeg touch up. With mig, there is no need to dismantle, as we build a faster and more locally friendly heat. 4043 filler and pure argon is a must.
This is a photo of the lower unit in the other post, you may have noticed, before final grinding and paint. I found out later that the guy had somebody running his pontoon boat at the landing and wiped out the prop but the skeg held up, it just was pretty damn sad. Welding is sometimes 60% artwork and 40% skill. While running into a rock is 60% stupidity, and 40% bad luck!

Attachments

• 5252_compress65.jpg
    5252_compress65.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I know they are good I have had them out on the water and run like a champ. I am more concerned with changing seals and getting them to pressure check good. I can find a welder no problem. They are not dismantled, the only thing I have done is taken the impeller apart.

Changing the seals is fairly simple.-----There are numerous tutorials on U-TUBE that will show how to reseal and overhaul those.

Often time the water infiltration is from the shift shaft seal. There are simple methods to change these. The lower unit, however, must be dismantled.

Back