Logo

Lower unit removal 8 hp

don1972

Trying to remove lower unit on 1987 Merc 8 hp SN B163205 M. Handle reverse, 22 in shaft.

I can pull it out about 2 in, then it feels like it is connected to something that must be disconnected?

Suggestions?

Trying to remove lower unit on 1987 Merc 8 hp SN B163205 M. Handle reverse, 22 in shaft.

I can pull it out about 2 in, then it feels like it is connected to something that must be disconnected?

Suggestions?

I discovered I need to disconnect the shift linkage that runs up to a clip below the carb. I am a bit puzzled as to how the clip is removed.

Well replace the impeller with new before anything. When you pulled the lower unit out did the water tube come with it? Is the drive key in for the impeller? Is the thermostat stuck closed?

The impeller was replaced in January and the motor has not been run more than two hours. It still looked new when I dropped the unit, The key was in place and the impeller turned when the shaft turned. The copper water tube came out with the unit. There is no thermostat in the motor. We live in central Florida.

The impeller was replaced in January and the motor has not been run more than two hours. It still looked new when I dropped the unit, The key was in place and the impeller turned when the shaft turned. The copper water tube came out with the unit. There is no thermostat in the motor. We live in central Florida.
Did you put the copper tube back in the right Hole? That needs to be installed before the lower unit goes back on. Have you run it with the thermostat cover off to Verify flow? Block plugged with salt? Is the water in the bucket 6" above the impeller? As you hopefully realize muffs don't work on that motor.

Last edited:
You have listed some things to check again. Thanks
I assume the tube went back to the right hole. The shift lever, the drive shaft and the tube all went smoothly into holes that matched the arrangement on the lower unit.
The water in my tub was about 2" above the plate under which is the water intake, which would have placed the level about even with the actual impeller.
I did check with thermo cover off previously and no water was coming up to that point. But I must now check again since I had the lower unit off/on.

You have listed some things to check again. Thanks
I assume the tube went back to the right hole. The shift lever, the drive shaft and the tube all went smoothly into holes that matched the arrangement on the lower unit.
The water in my tub was about 2" above the plate under which is the water intake, which would have placed the level about even with the actual impeller.
I did check with thermo cover off previously and no water was coming up to that point. But I must now check again since I had the lower unit off/on.
The water tube MUST be removed from the pump housing and reinstalled in the block before re assembly, The tube will flop around and miss the hole completely if you try it the other way. Make sure you reinstall the tube in the correct hole in the block. When reinstalling the lower unit make sure the tube lines up with the pump housing grommet. Water needs to be 6" above the impeller.

Last edited:
Back