Logo

Lower unit question

ShayneCastonguay

Contributing Member
I blew my lower unit on a J50BELCNR (1982 johnson 50 hp outboard) and have found one on ebay from a 1982 evinrude 60 hp. The 20" transom model fro evinrude does not appear to match the 20" shaft model from my johnson, can anyone confirm this?

Also, the unit on ebay has 4 inlets on the side, which corresponds to the 15" transom model on the diagrams, would a drive shaft swap be do-able with my johnson? I have two drive shafts taking up space

Also, the unit on ebay has 4 inlets on the side, which corresponds to the 15" transom model on the diagrams, would a drive shaft swap be do-able with my johnson? I have two drive shafts taking up space

The 60 is not going to work. Your old driveshaft should have 14 splines. IN 1993, they went to a 17 spline shaft. You are going to have to find a lower unit for a 40, 48 or 50 hp Johnson or Evinrude, 1992 or earlier. Not sure of the breaks prior to 1992.

Also, you can look at the parts break down here, to figure out what you have. Also, there is a guy in Michigan, that can provide a rebuild kit for your old lower unit. He also has videos on youtube, that shows you what to do. Google advancedmarine

Back