Logo

Lower unit problems

buddyo

"I have a 1986 4 horse mercury

"I have a 1986 4 horse mercury o/b.I droped the lower unit to replace the impeller,I left it in neutral,I tapped it,and the unit came down easy,I replaced the impeller with no problems. I turn the shaft to see if the impeller was working correctly and the fins were going in the right direction.But when I went to reinstall the lower unit I made sure everything lined up,when pushing the unit upward it semms to get wedged I did this several times, and the same thing happen.This the first time I ever did anything like this before,I'm retired and had time on my hands and I just wanted to try. Can anyone help?"

"other then moving the flywhee

"other then moving the flywheel to line the splines up it sounds like you have it going together right. A little grease on the top splines to keep it from rusting to the crank. Spin the prop to check for nuetral during assembly. Always turn drive shaft clockwise. Some drive shafts have a seal on top to keep the grease on the splines, look with flashlight to see if your's is stuck in crank."

"I have greased the both splin

"I have greased the both splines, the prop does turn clockwise. Thanks alot JB. BudW."

the prop should spin freely in

the prop should spin freely in both directions when in neutral. These lower unit like to jump in fwd when your not looking.

"I checked to see if the lower

"I checked to see if the lower united was in neutral, I turn the prop clockwise and a clicking sound came from the prop, the shaft didn't turn.When I tried to turn the shaft and prop,clockwise it didn't turn. When I turned the prop counter-clockwise,it turned real easy and the shaft turned counter-clockwise also without any clicking sounds.I don't think its in neutral or is it. How can I get back in neutral?"

"A pair of pliers/vise grip on

"A pair of pliers/vise grip on the shift shaft spines, rotate it ccw about 20 degrees. I'm guessing a bit here on the ccw but they normally jump in fwd. You can play with it some, if you turn it to far it will go in reverse. Again the prop will spin freely in both directions and not ratchet when in neutral. The ratchet or clicking is normal in fwd gear, it allows the prop to free spin when slowing down without spinning the engine."

I could not believe how easy t

I could not believe how easy that was BJ. I just turned the shaft till it clicked into neutral. BudW.

Back