Logo

Lower Unit Problem - No Neutral

FlukeSkywalker

I changed my water pumps over the winter, twin f200 in-line 4’s.

when I put the port lower unit back on I have no neutral, the prop shaft spins in neutral and it clicks loud when I put in reverse like it’s goign from fwd to reverse. It stays in gear once in and doesn’t grind, just a loud click like it’s jammkng into gear.

I disconnected the shift cable and manually shifted from the engine and it still does it. I tried readjusting the spline and resetting, nothing has worked.

any idea on what is going on?

Hello.

So I think you've ruled out the shift linkage being an issue.

If you put the shift lever in neutral and drop the lower unit, what happens when you try to turn the prop shaft both clockwise and counter-clockwise? If you hear clicking when you do that, then it's stuck in gear. To get it back in neutral, I would turn the driveshaft clockwise while turning the shift rod counter-clockwise at the same time. That will hopefully get it back into neutral where you can freely spin the prop shaft in both directions. You might have to put more force on the shift shaft than you're comfortable with. If it were me, I would get a Yamaha shift rod push arm instead of using pliers to turn the shift rod. They're about $20.

Once you have it in neutral, then try rotating the shift rod back into both forward and reverse, then back to neutral. If the prop shaft still spins freely when in the neutral position, then put it back in reverse. Then move your shift lever on the control box to reverse. Then reinstall the lower unit. If it doesn't go in all the way, just rotate the prop shaft by-hand counter-clockwise while continuing to push up on the lower unit until it goes all the way up. Then see where you're at.

I'm not actually sure why that trick works, but it has worked on my dad's 2001 F50 for me. Good luck.

Hello.

So I think you've ruled out the shift linkage being an issue.

If you put the shift lever in neutral and drop the lower unit, what happens when you try to turn the prop shaft both clockwise and counter-clockwise? If you hear clicking when you do that, then it's stuck in gear. To get it back in neutral, I would turn the driveshaft clockwise while turning the shift rod counter-clockwise at the same time. That will hopefully get it back into neutral where you can freely spin the prop shaft in both directions. You might have to put more force on the shift shaft than you're comfortable with. If it were me, I would get a Yamaha shift rod push arm instead of using pliers to turn the shift rod. They're about $20.

Once you have it in neutral, then try rotating the shift rod back into both forward and reverse, then back to neutral. If the prop shaft still spins freely when in the neutral position, then put it back in reverse. Then move your shift lever on the control box to reverse. Then reinstall the lower unit. If it doesn't go in all the way, just rotate the prop shaft by-hand counter-clockwise while continuing to push up on the lower unit until it goes all the way up. Then see where you're at.

I'm not actually sure why that trick works, but it has worked on my dad's 2001 F50 for me. Good luck.

Thanks, that makes some sense and hopefully is the fix, I will update.

After replacing the water pump on my 2007 yamaha vz200tlr I can get the gear shifter to move out of neutral after the lower unit is tighten to specs. But it will work fine if the bolts are loosened up.
All splines are lined up .

Back