Logo

lower unit of 1972 50 hp Johnson hydro electric shift

riles1967

I'm brand new as a boat owner &I'm trying to learn more about my motor. I was told to change my impellor in the lower unit because it has sat unused for 2 yrs. I've read that I need Type C premium blend oil but now i'm trying to find out how much oil I'll need to replace what I will drain out. Also, are there gaskets that will need to be replaced & which ones are they. Also, is there a drain plug specifically for the lower unit oil? Any tips or knowledge you could pass on to me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, I'm trying to get her in ship shape because Bass season opens in my region this Saturday & I'd prefer not to be stranded on the lake because of something I could've prevented. Thanks very much riles1967

Typically you will need about 30 / 36 ounces of type C oil.------There is a drain plug and a vent plug.------1/2" diameter use a big screw driver.--------------And with the lower unit in normal running position you fill from the bottom till it comes out the vent hole.--------New sealing washers may be required on these screws.----------If there is water inside the gearcase you need a seal kit.

Back