Logo

Lower unit Compatibility

KenFF

I have a lower unit for a 1998 Johnson 175 and I want to sell it so I have 2 questions 1) what is it compatible with? and 2) It has an extra long shaft - I was told that it is a 20 min job to change this, is that so?

That unit has a 2 piece shaft which can be removed and fitted with different lenght and spline patterns shfts. It will fit a 1978-1999 V-6 motor (150-225)

Pappy, Tim, Thanks that's a real help and I really appreciate you responding so quickly. Always nice to have proper information for the buyer.

The other question was, "how Hard" to change the shaft? I read about a pin and retainer and special tools but can't find anything specific for this year. Some say it will "pull" out, others say I need to take the thing apart to separate the 2 shaft halves.

Also, if I were to take the shaft out for shipping (not my 1st choice) wouldn't it then leak oil?

Upper shaft snaps out. It has a little clip to hold it but will release with a pull by hand. Drain oil to be safe, probably required anyway for most shippers.

Okay Ken, I do skeg and prop repair, alum welding. This is a very popular unit. Millions out there. Take care.

Yes, you are right Pappy. Maybe in my younger days it seemed easier. At least arthritis has spared me so far.

Do I have to remove the bearing housing to "pull" the shaft? I tried pulling it as hard as I can by hand, but it seems pretty firm. And it makes a dull "clunk" sound, like it's up against something.

A 10lbs weight from a weight bench slid over driveshaft with WP parts removed, 2 pair vise grips 180° of each other, unit suspend between two tables upside down, raise weight and slam down on vise grips and shaft comes out. Or take to a shop and let em use puller and buy em a 6 pack.

Thanks Guys, That should do me. I don't need to take it out till I sell it - the shaft is perfect - just not that much call for the XL shafts on my lake.

Back