Logo

lower unit attachment problem

gyouska

Hey everyone I am having problems putting my lower unit back on my 72 9.5 sportwin. I just serviced the gear box and am trying to get it back up in the housing. I am having problems with the shift linkage. What gear does the box need to be in and what gear does the handle need to be in? I finally got it close to where the box is in the high position or foward and when I connect the linkage and pull the handle down to foward position it sucks the lower unit upward like it should. My only problem is there is a quarter inch gap in between still with the handle all the way down. If you look at the gear position inside the hood where the throttle is the lever is in the nuetral position but the gear is in reverse and foward postion is only nuetral and if you hold down the lever you can get it to foward but it pops out. The gear box shifts fine there is nothing jamming it up. something is wrong with the linkage arm in the house is there any way I can adjust the positioning?

Gear position on these really does not matter.-----What does matter is that the notch in the shift rod MUST be lined up with the hole in the brass connecter.---Only then can you put the bolt in.

On the 9.5 the handle would not be straight uo and down in nuetral !

what I am saying everything is down to far. so when I connect everything if I lift the shifter up to the reverse position it doesnt go any higher than nuetral the box is in reverse due to the rod pushing it down. It shifts into all 3 gears but for whatever reason everthing is lower than it should be. lever is in nuetral box is in reverse when the lever is in forward the box is in nuetral and if I force the handle as far down in forward as I can the box will shift to forward but it doesnt stay because it is not ment to be pushed that far down. Like I said everything is some how down a quarter inch. when I use the lever to pull the lower unit up tight to bolt it together no matter how hard I push there is a quarter inch gap in between lower unit and the exaust. the drive shaft does go in I can spin the fly wheel and make the prop turn. I just cannot get the gap to close to bolt it together. Is there any adjustments with the shift lever?

I have repaired these 9.5 models from before your motor was new.-------I have never run into the problem that you are describing.---I own 10 or more of these as repairable or parts motors.--Are you turning the propeller when trying to shift this motor ??----How did you install the impeller ?------How did you reassemble the lower unit ?---Are you sure every thing was assembled correctly ?-----Did you remove the brass coupling on the shift rod ?----Are you 100% sure that the notches on the shift rods are lined up with the holes in the brass connecter.-----Did you make any adjustments on shift linkages up top while lower unit was off ?-Answers or pictures may get you some help.

it was the brass shift linkage the holes were down too far not allowing it to pull up all the way when the lever is lifted. Thanks!

Back