Logo

lower unit 1977 70 hp

lstring

Contributing Member
i have a 1977 evinrude 70 hp . i need to install water pump.i have removed all 6 bolts from lower unit and also screw from shift rod,lower unit will not budge. if it is stuck in bottom of crankshaft how do i get it apart.:confused:

Re: lower unit

You will need to Love tap it ( HIT IT) with a rubber hammer or a dead blow hammer...... if this does not work you will have to get something between the lower unit and the mid section..... and pry it apart.

Are you sure you have all the bolts out? There is one under the steering torque tab (or whatever it's called).

if its like my 150 there are 7 bolts. 2 on each side below the cavitation plate...and 2 in front above the prop. and 1 hidden under the tab near the prop. if u have all the bolts out and it doesnt come out...i had the same problem ...the drive shaft was corroded in the crank shaft. i finally pryed it apart but the cranks splines were corroded so much that it fell apart. GOOD BYE CRANKSHAFT. good luck

you have a total of 7 bolts to remove.
1. shift shaft 7/16 bolt located under bottom carb on starboard side of motor.
2. trim tab bolt. 9/16 ( I think)
3,4,5,6 bolts 9/16 , 2 each side under cav plate.
7. bolt accessible. under trim tab.
remove bolt under trim tab last so as to be able to hold the lower unit as you remove it. (have a friend help if any are around).
when you start lowering it you may have to give it a good tug to get the shift shaft offset through rubber grommet.

Back