Logo

Lower gear unit

Had a bad water pump in a alfa

Had a bad water pump in a alfa 1 out drive replaced it and now I cant get the lower gear unit to pop back in. I think I have everything alined but still has 1/2 inch to go and will not go any farther. Got me confused. Also I replaced the coupler on the engine and used a old drive shaft off a old out drive. I got it to slip right in with minimal presue is this alined good or do I need the tool?

"Also, did you get the old o-r

"Also, did you get the old o-ring out with the shaft when you pulled the unit? Sometimes the o-ring remains up in the upper unit and prevents lower unit from seating.
It helps if the prop is rotated a little as lower unit goes into position so that the splines mate properly.
Too much grease on the top of the shaft can block the shaft from seating."

I got it in but I have to tear

I got it in but I have to tear it back apart because the sifter was in reverse and not forwart when it sliped in. but with my first post on top do you think my moter is alined right?

Shaun:

Did you put some gre

Shaun:

Did you put some grease on the old shaft first? It helps determine whether the alignment is correct by how even the grease is dispersed on the shaft.

"Shaun;

Normally if you can

"Shaun;

Normally if you can get it in that far the alignment is OK.
Is your lower shift shaft and upper shift shoe both lined up straight ahead? Throttle in forward, and drive in forward gear? This is critical, or you will damage the shift shaft.

The last 1/2 inch or so can be very tight to get moving due to compressing the input shaft o rings into the gimble bearing inner race.
When you slide it in does it stop solid against something hard? If not, it likely just needs some persuasion to compress the o rings. Plenty of grease on the o rings?

Try a few good raps with a heavyish rubber or composite mallet against the back of the upper gear housing.

Rod"

Rod they are not lined strait

Rod they are not lined strait ahead with my trottle lever in full forward they are off in other direction. I did replace the lower shift cable also. The drive is in forward gear. I will fix and examine to get right I dont want to break anything else. I have the sevice manual but is very limiting on what it says. thanks I will let you know what happens.

Shaun;
Good thing you did not

Shaun;
Good thing you did not force it.
Follow the procedure to set up the lower shift cable initially.
If you need info send me an email and I will send you the procedure.
The shoe needs to line up straight ahead when the shifter is in forward gear.
Rod

Back