Logo

Lower gear case alfa 1

howdy

When I pulled my lower gear ca

When I pulled my lower gear case to change the shift shaft seal there was oil in the cavity and water. Did I do something wrong when I changed the imppeler I put a kit in it new gasskets thanks

"What cavity are we talking ab

"What cavity are we talking about?

When you originally split the cases did you change the upper drive shaft seal?

Oil in various places in the lower gear case can be caused by a leaky shift shaft seal, leaky upper drive shaft seal, or leaky lower drive shaft seal, or a leaky quad O ring where the oil passages meet between the upper and lower cases.

Rod"

the cavity where the shift sha

the cavity where the shift shaft is.I did change the o ring on the shaft. It was fine exept for the impeller I put a new pump kit in and it started leaking on the shift shaft.I took it apart to change the seal and water ran out around the shift shaft when I broke it apart

"That is likely just water com

"That is likely just water coming out of the water tube above the pump when you broke the two parts apart.
As long as there is no water in your gear lube, just change the shift shaft seal and you are good.

Rod"

Thanks Is that nut that holds

Thanks Is that nut that holds the shift shaft seal a leffty loose? dang thing is tight Thanks again

"Yes it's a standard threa

"Yes it's a standard thread. May be tight, but it should come with some convincing.
The Merc tool makes it easy, but you can grind an old socket down to leave two big teeth to fit the slots. Thats what I have and it works fine.

Rod"

"Thanks Rod I made a tool and

"Thanks Rod I made a tool and got it out. If I get her back together I,LL be back on the trail of the halibut THANKS"

Back