Logo

Lower End Reverse Gear Replacement ???

catman29

I have a 1996 Evinrude 50hp 2 cylinder.. My question is I know if you replace the forward gear and pinon gear that you have to re shim them for proper clearances, If your only replacing the reverse gear do you still have to re shim ?? I should already know that answer but for some reason I wasn't sure, Thanks in advance...

You only have to shim the pinion gear.------It would be rare to have to only replace reverse.----Not much load on reverse so no shimming required.----What went wrong with reverse ?----Was the shift rod height correct ?----How / when did reverse fail ?

Reverse still works the gear part looks fine so does forward gear there's a little wear the dog clutch engages I was replacing the dog clutch and was debating about throwing in the reverse gear while there.. I had to correct the height of the shifter rod after I got this engine because of it not shifting correctly into reverse.. it still worked after my adjustment.. I was putting new seals and figured while there replace dog clutch that was worn on the reverse end and gear..

Welcome. Got it. The problem was not in the gear teeth, but shift dog from improper adjustment. Just reassemble and you will be fine.

Welcome. Got it. The problem was not in the gear teeth, but shift dog from improper adjustment. Just reassemble and you will be fine.
Thanks, This is what I was thinking but its been awhile since I worked on the gear end and wanted to make sure I was thinking Correctly...

Back