Logo

Lower crankcase seal installation

emilkob

I have a 1988 20HP (J20ECCA). I want to replace the seal in the lower crankcase head (398050). The old seal (319664) had a metal jacket and was installed flush with the flange. The new replacement seal (398051) does not have the metal jacket, and came with a note that you cannot use use the old install tool as it will seat the seal incorrectly. The new tool (333520) is $93, a bit much for one use. I don’t have either tool, but was originally thinking that I would install the new seal flush with the flange, like the old, until I saw the note. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the new tool, or how the new seal needs to be installed in relation to the flange face?

Depending on seal design, the non jacketed seal should fit slightly below the flange. Be sure to avoid using ethanol, it will damage your seal over time.

Thanks Timguy,

I ended up measuring where the wear line was on the shaft (from the bottom of the bearing and calculated how the seal needed to be seated. It ended up being “ slightly below the flange”.

Back