Logo

Low WOT RPM on 1989 200 Evinrude

drx

Contributing Member
This motor has been completely

This motor has been completely redone. Everything is new other than the rectifier which was replaced a few years ago after being fried by an onboard charger.

Power is down a little and wot rpm is 5700-5800 with the same prop that used to go to 6400+ if I let it.

I have gone through the entire fuel system from tank pickup to intake and everything checks out OK. Vac switch is working. One carb float was a little misadjusted.

I put the timing light on each plug wire while idling in gear and it looks like there is an occasional miss in 5 of 6 cylinders. I repeated this several times and got the same result. Only the one cylinder(starboard bottom) looked to be firing perfectly on each trial. Is this possible?

"If you are saying the motor w

"If you are saying the motor was just rebuilt, your problem might be that it hasn't been broken in yet. The rings need to seat, the cylinder walls will need to polish, etc. Also, are you running double oil? That may also be a factor."

"I have already put a few hour

"I have already put a few hours on it with the extra oil. Didn't seem to make any difference going to straight gasoline in the tank.

As far as the spark, I'm thinking that maybe the timing light just likes that one particular plug wire better(they are all new). Might try switching them around. One cylinder or even a whole bank missing would make more sense than 5 of 6 cylinders. Wasn't thrilled with the new timer base though. The inside has been crudely machined by the manufacturer to "align the bore".
88090.jpg
"

The timer base seats/ rotates

The timer base seats/ rotates where the brass is and the rest does not matter.I would be concerned with the miss on the ignition on 5 cylinders.Do you still have the old timer to re-install it??

"I was concerned about the met

"I was concerned about the metal sensor cores being chewed up. If you save the pic and zoom it you can see the large metal burrs. I cleaned them up a little prior to installation. I still have the original timer base.

Also wondering about the new stator(CDI173-4287), which matches the one I removed. That one was about 3 years old and not looking very healthy where the orange wires exit the coil. The charge coils on both are located together at the rear but in the shop manual one is at the front and one at the rear. Never saw the original stator. Also, there are 2 yellow wires on the new stator, whereas the previous one had a yellow and a yellow/grey to match the wires from the rectifier."

Back