Logo

LOW POWER AT TAKE OFF 125 FORCE ENGINE

edward

" HI BOARD----I HAVE A 1986 FO

" HI BOARD----I HAVE A 1986 FORCE ENGINE ON MY 19.5 FT. BAYLINER WHEN I TAKE OFF AT FULL THROTTLE, MY RPM IS RATHER SLOW,BOGGED DOWN. THEN AFTER A FEW SECONDS (8-10 SEC.)MY ENGINE KICKS INTO A MUCH FASTER RPM.I DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS THE CARB, TIMING,SPARK PLUGS OR PROP I NOW HAVE. SECOND QUESTION, WHERE WOULD I ADJUST THE IDLE FOR A FASTER RPM, WHILE IN NEURAL? CARB OR CABLES? MY MOTOR DIES OUT WHEN I SHIFT IT INTO GEAR.
THANKS---ED "

" Ed,

Does the engine seem

" Ed,

Does the engine seem to have full power after it speeds up or does it perform poorly.

The engine should idle with the throttle plates closed, as do most engines. Make sure the two carbs are operating in unison. Watch the throttle plates as you advance the throttle and see if they open and close together.

The idle speed is adjusted with the throttle plates closed by setting the timing and the idle mixture. You will see a screw and locknut on the arm which moves the trigger base just under the front of the flywheel. This allows you to adjust the timing. The idle mixture screws are on the carbs and can be either on the front of the carb or at the rear of the starboard side. These screws are easy to recognize because you will see a spring around the screw which keeps it from turning. Normally you would lightly seat the idle screw and then back it out 1 1/2 turns.

The throttle plates should begin to open just after the timing starts to advance as you advance the throttle.

Tony "

" I have a 2000 model 90hp mer

" I have a 2000 model 90hp mercury that is idling rough, and when I throttle the motor all the way I can only get to about 3000 rpm's. It worked fine all last year but last week while running across the lake it just seemed to slow down all of the sudden. When I stopped and then started again it ran fine. Today it wouldn't power up at all. I tried all day and it acted like it was about to take off and then it would die out again. My brother thought maybe it was a plugged fuel filter but we fixed that and it still wouldn't go. We checked the fuel pump and when you turn the motor over only a trickle comes out. Any ideas? Thanks "

How do I test the water pump

How do I test the water pump on a Force 125 (1986 model)? I get some steam occasionally when I have been trolling.
Also what is the tach wiring diagram? It has never worked but the system does charge.

Back