Logo

Low oil level alarm will not clear

Captain Danno

We have a 2005 Mercury 90 hp 2 stk. We were on the lake anchored, I started the motor to move and as soon as I turned the key on the low oil alarm went off (a continuous loud tone). I immediately shut the engine down, checked the oil level and it was low so I added oil. Now the alarm will not clear. Next I pulled the cover to verify the hose at the bottom of the tank was hard and not easy to squeeze. This told me it was not airbound since oil is non-compressible and air is. To get back to dock I added oil to my gas tank just to make sure I had a mixture going to the engine. It oil level had gone down on the holding tank so it appears the engine is getting oil from the holding tank. Once home I sucked some of the oil out of the tank to try and visually verify the level float was not stuck but could only see what appeared to be an auxilarry tank inside. Has anyone run across this and give me any ideas what to check next? Thanks Dan.

My 90 is a few years older than yours, bt this may still be relevant. The constant tone indicates over heating.
(low oil is indicated by a beep beep beep beep...)

Thanks Donald. I found out it was the low oil level alarm. I disconnect the blue wires to the low level and the alarm went away. After talking to the mechanic at the marina all alarms are constant on these models. New oil tank on order.

Back