Logo

Loss of Power

trott49

"Ok, I have a 1984 Starcraft 1

"Ok, I have a 1984 Starcraft 16ft boat with an Evinrude 115hp motor. I just bought it @ the end of last summer. It had been ran just a few times in the past couple years, but not much at all. Here's my problem: When I put it on the water and have 3 or 4 people with me, I'll open the throttle all the way up, but it dogs down (lacks power) and will only run very slow at about 3,000rpms. If I'm by myself on water with no load on it, it seems to run fine most of the time (around 6,000rpms and fast). And if I hook it up to the garden hose at my house, it seems to run fine (Full RPMs and responsive).
I have replaced the basics: plugs and wires. But I'm figureing its has something to do with fuel system. Carbuerater or fuel pump? I dunno I've really never worked on small engines. Need some help please!"

"First of all, hooking it up t

"First of all, hooking it up to a garden hose is only used to flush the engine if you run in salt water, check if it starts and most important, to see if it pumps water. Never rev it above idle with no load on it because it's extremely hard on the motor and has no purpose. Have you checked the compression? It might be getting a little tired."

I did check the compression la

I did check the compression last fall and all cylinders checked out ok. I didn't have much time this winter to look at it so I'm just getting ready to start on it again.

Back