Logo

Losing power above 3000rpm 1993 5.7

mercruier

Recently had twin merc 5.7's (1993) rebuilt, rebored to 6.2L, with Edelbrock carbs (electric choke, marine, 750cfm model). In rough water recently, one of the engines dropped to 3000rpm and would not go higher with more throttle. Slowed and then stopped the engines, checked the props for obstruction, no problems. Restarted and ran fine, then 15 minutes later, same problem. Did the same checks, and when I resumed running the water was calmer, and the engines ran fine afterward.
I discussed this with the engine rebuilder, who thought perhaps the floats were not adjusted properly (too high). There was some initial white exhaust when I restarted the engines after the problem occurred. Two questions:
1) For marine use, shouldn't the floats be at a standard setting, to avoid fuel spilling out of the float bowl?
2) Is this kind of problem a common occurance, when using a carb with floats on the water?
thanks,
Roger

Re: Losing power above 3000rpm

Fuel filters clean, no water in gas/water separators. All fuel lines were replaced with the rebuild. Thought it might be condensation in the gas tank, but then the problem would probably not occur only in rough conditions. 25h on engines.

both motors running on the same gas tank ? Maybe it started sucking air from the tank cause the tank was low if one motor is sucking gas from a different tank?

didn't give year what fuel pump manual, electric? Reason i ask your oil pressure switch inline with the fuel pump? maybe it was fooled or going the oil pressure switch, or the connection flaky.

Brain storming.

With what brain i got left.

It is a manual fuel pump, but I don't know the details of that item. I think it is new, as everything on the engine apart from the block and fresh water cooling heat exchanger was replaced. I have had no recurrence of the problem... and my mechanic's explanation that it is related to the carb floats makes sense. My previous carburetors had diaphrams rather than a float bowl.

Back