Logo

Losing oil

Gancoo

Hey all, pretty new here. Not entirely mechanically inclines but willing to learn. I have newly owned boat w twin 1994 crusader fwc 350xl, 1700 hrs on port, 900 on starbord. They run well, start right up, are responsive to throttle, and reach top rpm easily. I have a leaking oil cooler for my tranny on my port engine that is getting repaired. Exhaust isn’t Smokey. Engines don’t appear to be leaking badly, although the bilge in the engine room does have some oily water in it. Oil pressure is about 50-60 starboard while cruising and 30 for the port. Engine temps are 165-170 consistently.

Here are are some issues that I’d appreciate any info about:

I went through about quart of oil in 12-15 hours on my strobes engine and 3/4 qt on my port. Is this normal? Things to check?

My oil pressure tops out at 30 on the port motor and 60 on he starbord while cruising and at operating temps. Is that normal due to the difference in hours?

There is a light clicking that you only hear at idle. It seems to go away after bumping up the rpms to 700 or so. Thoughts?

thanks in advance!!!!

You say you have oily bilge water, are you leaking oil? If memory serves you can put a dye in the oil and then check with a special light to look for leaks. Also remember that pumping oily water out of the boat can get you some pretty stiff fines so it would be worth your while to get something to sop up the oil. Used to call it $5000- water in the old days.

The amount of oil you are using seems excessive to me for the time run. Get a compression check done on them and that will give you a better idea of what is going on. My guess is the motors are getting tired, if the previous owner kept records on what he had done with her then that could help you as well.

Good luck on the search and safe boating.

Compression check would be a minimum starting point....a leakdown test would be better....

If the port engine wasn't well maintained, its could be approaching the end of its useful service life (ie it could be ready for overhaul/replacement)....

The other side's oil cooler probably isn't far behind....just food for thought.

and 2X on finding the oil leak.....not something to fool around with...

Back