Logo

Looking For The Right Outboard!

scottsman

I am still looking for a suitable outboard for my 14 foot 1959 Fiberglide runabout.
I have been told that I need a 25 to 50 HP, electric start, short shaft outboard with cable steering connections.

I have quickly discovered that a nice restored outboard will cost $500-PLUS and to ship an outboard anywhere is $100 to $200. So looking to spend as little as required for my first outboard I have found the pickings pretty slim!!

My question to the panel is this “Is there any make that stands head and shoulders above the rest – or any make I should avoid?” Is it better to look for an earlier year motor over an older – putting “looks” aside?

Is there any place to look for fair values for old motors?

So far all I have found is:
195? Evinrude Lark – 35hp for $450.00
1955 Johnson Model RDE - 25hp for $450.00
1961 Mercury 400 - 45hp for $365.00
1986 Evinrude - 110hp for $500.00
19?? Mariner - 25hp for $550.00
1953 Johnson - 35hp for $350.00

What are the hidden gotchas, that I am overlooking?:confused:

From your list you can eliminate the 86 Evinrude 110HP. Way too much motor for your boat. The 25 HP Mariner and Johnson maybe under powered depending on what you are doing. Johnson didn't make a 35HP in 53 so be leery of that one. That leaves the Merc and the Lark. While Mercs of that era are good motors they can be difficult for the DIY person to work on, especially when servicing the lower unit. My choice would be the Lark. Easy to service and good parts availability. I see you posted a wanted ad here. You might also try over at http://www.aomci.org/. If you have some mechanical ability you could get a non-restored motor and get it running. What shift/throttle remote control is in the boat? Wiring harness? Those details could sway which maker to go with as they don't work between the Mercs and OMC. Check Craigslist, fijji and E-bay (might find a deal but don't hold your breath).

Back