Logo

looking for info on 1989 OMC SeaDrive

collins6

I am looking for information on 1989 OMC Seadrive. It is a 3.0 L outdrive. Looking for a good manual or someone that knows about them.
Thanks

Search for parts manuals at -----------------crowly marine ------------------Ansd what would you like to know about the ----------------Sea Drive unit ????

I am the owner. I have had it about 1.5 months. It is on a 24ft MTX Pontoon/ Deckboat. I did not buy it because of the motor, but for the boat. I know that there is a lot of negative said about them. I got a good enought deal on the boat that if I repower I am still in good shape(I believe). I have not taken it to the water yet. I have had it running in the drive way. It is a little difficult to start. What I really wanted to know was basic info. Tune up type stuff, what should I be looking for to determine if it is a good motor.
The controls, cables and hydrolics seem to work fine. The last owner told me that he could take it on the lake and it may be fine and not have any problems or it may be doing fine then lose power and not run for the rest of the day or may crank up and be fine. Other than that I dont know any more. I just want to look at this motor a little before I get in to the cost of another motor.

Thanks

I would say take it to the water and run it and see what happens. That way you'll have a better idea of what's going on. One thing to check is to see how low the mtr is sitting when in the water. How far out of the water are the upper exhaust reliefs ??

Basically it is a V-6 looper outboard with special mounting brackets.----Allows it to tilt completely out of the water.-------------Designed marketed as an " I / O replacement " and for use in salt water area.---------------May have been ahead of its time.------------Do a compression test and check for spark at each cylinder that will jump a gap off 7/16" on each.----------------Check the electric primer( key pushed in to activate ) and see if it is working properly.

Looking for racerone of Boobie that responded last time.
I am the same one that asked about this seadrive last year. Due to time and money, I have not been able to play untill recently.

I have done a lot of work on the boat and finally got it to the water. I
The motor starts easy every time. I thought that I needed a starter but it was a lose ground.
Electric primer works, new plugs.
I did compression check. Between 85 and 90 on all six cyclinders. That sounds awfully low?

Just putting around on the water things seem fine, when I tried to open it up the alarm went off.
In the manuels it says that the alarm will sound for overheating and oil flow issuses.

I pulled the thermostat covers off and the thermostats have been removed.
It peas steady but does not seem to be super strong. I know that even though it peas it does not mean it is cooling properly.
I am going to try to make sure that the water lines are not clogged due to mud dobbers from sitting so long.

1. Any thoughts on other things I should be looking for?
2. Do you have an idea on what compression should be?
3. Are there any tricks to taking the foot off to check the impeller?

Thank you
Craig Collins

Rule # 1 is --------Always install a new impeller on a new to you motor.------------Those compression values are not that bad for one of these motors.----------You must verify that oil injection is working properly before putting straight fuel in your tanks.

Ok< Iwill get an new impeller asap. But to verify the oil injection how is that done.
It smokes quite a bit when running in the drive way with muffs on I assume that was the oil.
I have not run it enought to see the oil level go down in the tank.
Do you just pull one of the hoses off and see if oil is pumping?

One way is to mix gas and oil at 50:1 in a seperate portable tank and monitor / mark your oil tank.See how much oil is needed to bring oil tank back to that level when gas tank runs out.----Factory manual also has a different method of checking oil pump.---Myself I sometimes just take the VRO apart for inspection which to me is just as easy.

I was trying to drop the gear case off today to install a new impeller. The foot drops sown an inch after that I do not know what to do to get it the rest of the way off. 89 seadrive 3.0L

Craig

You have to disconnect the shift rod.----------Look near the bottom of the carburetors on the port side.-------You should be able to see the linkage moving and the wee bolt that has to come out.

Thank you, I did it this afternoon. The old one did not look worn or dried out. So I am not sure if it is going to help. I will get it in the water within the next few days to test it.
I am pretty sure that the oil pump is working fine. I fluided it in the drive way the other day and fuel oil mixture ran out of the hub and it was well mixed.

Do you know much about the fuel solenoid?
It just for priming or pressurizing the system?

or does it pump on a regular basis?

Why does the red lever rotate 180 degrees?

Thanks
Craig

Hey Racerone
I replaced it this afternoon. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
I am not sure it is going to help, I know it cant hurt, the old one did not look worn or dried out.

The oil pump seems to be working, I flooded it in the driveway the other day and the fuel oil poured out of the hub.

Do you know what the fuel solenoid does?
Does it pump at all times or just to prime the system at start up?

Thanks
Craig

The primer solenoid is only really an " electric spray bottle "------------It is not a pump !------When you push the key in it allows pressurized fuel to be sprayed into the intake manifold.----------It is a much better system then choke flappers.-------The primer solenoid is only used during starting and warm-up.

The primer can be used in " manual mode " , you turn the red lever and then squeeze the manual fuel pump.----Move lever back to the run position and start the motor.-------The primer only works when there is fuel pressure, which means that the motor must be cranking or someone operating the manual fuel pump.

I am at my wits end with this motor.
I have been playing with it the past few days and when I think I am making progress, well a few steps back.
I found an OMC Service manuel for it on ebay.
This is what has happened over the weekend.

1. The engine starts up fine and once it has warmed up will sit and idol
2. I removed the temperature switches to inspect them, tested the alarm by jumping the wire to the block.
I also took the sending uint out of the VRO tank ( had 1 1/2 cups of water in the bottom). So i disconnected the oil line from the VRO pump and blew it out.
Reconnected everything and know the warning alarm comes on as soon as the motor starts.

If this motor was overheated in the past what damage could have been done that is causing it to sound the alarm so easily?

Sorry , but you have to be very specific when you make statements / ask question.---------Is it a continuous beep or intermittant ???----Water in the oil tank is not encouraging.

Back