Logo

looking for a source for old Crusader Challenger Model CH190, CH220

jclays

Regular Contributor
Finding bits and pieces of information. Looking for how the raw water cooling hoses are plumbed for a 1965 and or 1966 Crusader. Very little on the internet.

I'd suggest abandoning the original 'bolt ons' and use the more modern ones.....The Challenger vintage accessories appeared to have been orphaned a while ago and I think you have found out they are hard to find and priced as such....and there are very few that are unique to crusader.

I dug thru my library and found a 'before 1980' factory manual....looks just like the parts you can find in the online factory parts lookups. If you are only swapping the one engine for the time being, you can 'save the bolt ons' for the other one, until its time comes....just food for thought....

Would love to use the modern parts if I only have the room. Not using the original style hard to find parts will cause me to rebuild the forward part of the deck (The three hatches) and cause a step up of 3 to 4 inches vs the current totally flat deck. I hate the raised engine hatches that I see in other boats. I have a few salvage yards working on the parts I need. If that falls short my only two options is to put her back together the way she was by passed and all or modern intake manifolds and raise the deck.

Based on memory, vertical clearance between the underside of the hatch and the intake drives you to keep the 'low profile' housing and associated plumbing.....my thought was to modify the 'bottom' of the hatch to give you a recess for clearance.....think router....As long as you have enough structural material in the hatch or can supplement what is there it may be adequate.....

Of course, you have to measure what you have and then what you would need to make sure 'making a recess' is viable before starting....

Back