Logo

locate force 125 serial #?

Since it's a 125 it's older than a 1990.They put a sticker on the mid section which faded or fell off.That's about the only way other than pictures.
Post some pics of the cowling and powerhead.4 sides on the powerhead.J

wont go into reverse, will go into forward and nuetral easily. shifter and cables working fine. gear case oil was sampled and found no emulsion and oil was fairly clear, slightly darkened, some small traces of metal (size of the dot this "i"). Is there a quick way to determine whether this is shifter shaft adjustment issue or a problem in the gear case on. The power head was replaced with a used power 1 year ago psi's yesterday 125, 125, 115, 120, 1 > 4. engine runs OK.

studied the repair manual and looks like the power head matches the 1989 and later sketch. I noticed that the cowl has u s marine logo on the front side suggesting that this unit maybe early-mid 1980's. getting back to the issue of reverse, i wonder how to check to see if when this newer version power head was installed with proper shift rod adjustment or if .there was an improper conversion during installation which would not allow full engagement into reverse. Also i noticed that the shift shaft in reverse is making solid contact against the bottom of the crankcase casting. Could this mean excess wear to the clutch and, or yoke; or do i need a different length shift shaft/part no. to rectifiy the conversion to the newer power head. Comments and suggestions please.

Last edited:
Blue forces were made starting in 87 and went to Mercury in 92.White motors before 87.
The different powerhead will make no difference in the shift shaft.There is an adjustment there.
You need to remove the cables(not running).Shift the mechanism and turn the prop and see if it engages.Then shift it the other way and see if it engages.It should lock in one direction possibly two.
It might be a simple cable adjustment.Try that and post the results.J

my engine is black/gray. i disconnected the shift cables at the motor.

it still wont engage reverse. But the upper shift shaft which is treaded and has 2 nuts which would suggest a possibility to re-adjust shaft travel. now when the shift shaft is put into reverse the top end of shaft hits the crankcase. I have about 5/8"
of thread exposed above the top lock nut. If i re-adjust to say 1/8" of thread exposed above the top lock nut, should there be enough shaft travel to fully engage
the gears into forward and reverse. I am concerned about partial engagement in either forward or reverse if there's not enough shaft travel or too much play/wear.
Also i read a thread, where another guy was trying drain his lower unit and pulled the small forward positioned pivot bolt by mistake and he had shifting problems too.
Is there a means of checking the lower unit shift shaft to see if previous owner of my engine may have done the same thing and if so there a way of fixing that without
a complete teardown ?

I just hung one of these on my 17.5 ft older Lund. I had the same problem of not shifting in reverse. Very simple fix from boat machanic buddy of mine. The cables most likely just need to be switched around. You may also have to switch the cable ends to fit onto the brass post bolts.
It worked for mine! Good Luck.

ps. Put silicone on that shift screw set up to prevent anyone but a qualified marine mechanic from touching it; it certainly looks like a great place to fill the lower unit.

Back