Logo

LM318 SuperBee

artware

"I do have a LM318 -73 and on

"I do have a LM318 -73 and on top of the the carb reads "SuperBee".
What does that mean with in the marine chrysler engines?

I do have the engine in a Fjord 21 Weekender and with 4000 rpm the GPS says 53 knot. Easily 55 knot is reachable.

The engine runs fine, thus when started there is some noise like no oil in some place, but the noise goes rather fast away.

I assume that the engine has 220hp but nothing more in details. Any info about the engine and the "SuperBee" label would be fine."

"I also have that screaching n

"I also have that screaching noise for a few seconds on start up,(LM318 BWL10) especially if the motor has not been started for a week. I thought it was a water pump noise, or a seriously slippng belt but it is neither.

Can anyone chime in here with the knowledge, now that I find it is not peculiar just to my motor ?"

Probably just lifters bleeding

Probably just lifters bleeding down or piston slap all of which you could live with as for the 'Super Bee' designation that's just what Chrysler called their SB marine motors in the early '70's. They borrowed it from Dodge. The SuperBee II was the 318 and the Superbee III was the 340. I'm always on the look out for one of those if anyone knows of one.

"The squeal is probably your a

"The squeal is probably your alternator belt slipping on the pulley. When they sit for a while the rubber gets stiff and slips in the pulley until they warm up and start to grip better. When I installed high amp alternators they squealed like stuck pigs. Tightening the belt tension helped. There is also a product called belt dressing which causes the rubber to stay tacky.

The rattling is probably the hydraulic lifters and pushrods. The oil in the lifters leaks down into the sump when the engine rests. At start up, it takes a few seconds before the lifters fill with oil and resume their job cushioning the rods and the camshaft."

"Thanks for that info Peter,

"Thanks for that info Peter, I will get some belt dressing and see if that helps. The belt tension is ok, and it is only a 40 amp alternator, but I take your point. Thanks again.

Ray."

"You might want to check that

"You might want to check that there is no antifreeze or water dripping on the belt when the engine is running and first turned off. I would wipe down the pulley groove with acetone or alcohol to make sure there is no oil residue allowing the belts to slip. Belt dressing works, but can get a little gummy after time. Also turn the pulleys by hand....maybe a bearing is starting to seize?"

"Have someone modified the LM

"Have someone modified the LM 318 so, that there is the late (´72-´73) 340/360 head, more aggressive cams and a better 4bbl carb (e.g. ~600 cfm Holley).
It seems that the hp would go near 300 and torque also increases."

Back