Logo

little Johnny is not feeling good,motor issues

Motor is an 87 johnson 30elcoa.
Syptoms:won't stay running under load.
Diagnosed a leaking a choke relay,crack in nipple that holds gas line,replaced gasket and cover,still sick:confused:
Lets try carbs:clean,needle seat a little worn out,nurse get me a carb rebuild kit:kit installed,rebuilt,:confused:,still sick,.
Lets check heart rate,both cylinder pushing around 118,good there is still hope::rolleyes:Spark is strong like bull!!!:)
Seeing as how I am not really a doctor and only stayed at a holiday inn,just once,I am now asking for help on this site,tried another site,no luck.What are my next steps into diagnosing little Johnnys ailment,I am a carpenter,and don't want to fix it with a hammer:D.Is it possibly a timing issue,if it is can someone post how to check the timing ,and whatever I might need to buy aimlessly.Tired of watching the algae grow on the pontoons:facepalm:

Is the red lever on the primer injector ( choke ) in the correct position ?--------Is the arm on the port side that goes to the carburetor adjusted properly ?-Many people adjust that because when it is correct it " looks wrong " to a novice.----Ignition timing is adjusted at the factory and generally does not need adjusting for the life of the motor !!---------The flywheel key needs to be checked as that can throw out the timing.

Model #30elcoa is a 1985 30hp model, not a 1987.

Hold off with the stand up comic routine (no offense intended) as that just deters away from the engine problems.

What is the compression reading of each cylinder? With the spark plugs still removed, check to see if the spark will jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! The 7/16" gap is important! Note that checking spark with the spark plugs is a waste of time.

Has anyone had the flywheel off and DID NOT torque the flywheel nut to factory specs upon re-installing?

Is this engine new to you... or have you owned it for some time? If you constantly pump the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump, does that make a difference in the problem?

If the engine has been sitting awhile, the carburetor may be fouled, in which case, clean and rebuild it as needed.

Sorry about the puns,but needed to reevaluate my previous post,was not getting much attention except from raceron,thank you btw.

This motor has run like a champ for many years,just turn the key she starts,no priming,choking,every time,even now,the choke lever is still in the original location,parallel with the ,pump,all I did was put the new rubber piece and cover on,the gasket looks like it only goes in one way to me at least.

Gap jump is strong from what I can tell.7/16,by eye I would say yes,compression on both cylinders is around 118.Flywheel has never been touched.

I have had this pontoon boat now almost 4 years,just out of the blue she started acting up,even replaced gas and oil mixture.

Primer ball is good at least to my eye,buddy said try replacing that?.Seems like a waste of another 20 bucks.

The adjustable arm that is in front of the carb,was at 21/2 turns messed with that in 1/8 " increment no help either,runs somewhat ok at dock in 1/4 and 1/2 load but under full load she just dies,remnant of gas around the motor after punching it full throttle,checked all lines no gas leaking either.

From what you've had to say, the compression is fine at 118 psi and the spark jumps a 7/16" gap with a strong blue spark which is also fine, and you feel confident that the flywheel key isn't sheared.

Okay... that leaves the fuel system. You state that the engine doesn't stay running under a load. You seem to indicate that it does run in gear at slow rpms but not at the higher rpms. (answered further down here).

If the primer bulb pumps up hard, it's okay. You didn't answer that question... does it make any difference if you act as a manual fuel pump by constantly pumping the fuel primer bulb?

I don't know what you mean by saying that the engine runs okay at the dock in 1/4 or 1/2 load.... however, if you're saying that the engine runs fine in gear until you attempt to apply full throttle, and then it simply bogs and dies out, that scenario describes a fouled, gummed, clogged carburetor... in which case, remove, clean, and rebuild it. Be sure to manually clean the brass high speed jet that in horizontally located in the bottom center portion of the carburetor float chamber (way in back of the drain screw) with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent just doesn't do a proper job of it.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

-------------------------
(Fuel Primer Solenoid Function)
(J. Reeves)

The RED lever...... The normal operating/running position is to have that red lever positioned over top of the solenoid and aimed at the other end of the solenoid, gently turned to its stop. This is the normal/automatic mode position. Pushing the key in opens the valve within the solenoid allowing fuel to pass thru it in order to prime and start the engine. Looking upon this solenoid as a electric choke results in a better understanding of it.

Having that red lever turned in the opposite direction, facing away from the solenoid, allows fuel to flow thru it to the crankcase area. One would only turn the red lever to this position in a case where the battery might go dead and the engine had to be started via the rope pull method. Look upon putting the red lever in this position as moving a choke lever on a choke equipped engine to the full closed position. Either one would supply fuel to the crankcase/engine for starting purposes BUT if left in that position while running would flood the engine.

The later model primer solenoids are equipped with a schrader valve, used for attaching a pressurized can of fogging oil etc, available at your local dealership with complete instructions.

Pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard fills the carburetor float chambers of course, but that process also applies fuel pressure to the primer solenoid.

The two small hoses leading from the primer solenoid branch off via tees to each fuel manifold section that would feed fuel to the individual cylinders.

Pushing the key in activates the primer solenoid to allow fuel to flow thru it to the intake manifold passageways. Cranking the engine over causes the fuel pump to engage which in turn sends fuel pulses to the primer solenoid via the 3/8" fuel hose.

Starting procedure: pump fuel bulb up hard, crank engine and push the key in at the same time. When the engine fires/starts, release the key so that it falls back to the run position.

Bottom line..... Look upon the primer solenoid as an electric choke.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Last edited:
got back to the motor this afternoon,red lever is pointed in the correct position,and the primer ball stays hard when pumped up.still starting right up,adjusted thecarb adjustment screw to 1 1/2 turns now she does not want to start right up,reset to 2 1/2 turns,still would not refire.might my problem be in that scew adjustment,backed it all the way,clean,no nicks or gouges,and pointy.What else might I look at.Carbs were gone thru 3 times already,pull it again?

I did notice when the issue first started,the water from the exhaust port was almost to hot to keep hand under,and my hands can handle alot of heat,

The impeller was replaced last year,thanks to the fine help on this site,strong stream of water flowing when running.

Can someone explain how to pull and where the water pump is located.I have never changed one on a boat.The thermostat is at least 5 years old.

Your mention of 2-1/2 turns out of the slow speed needle valve is really out of specifications. Something wrong in that area.

What is your starting procedure?

Joe all I ever had and have to do is just turn the key over,never had to choke or prime since day one,some 5 years ago.

As far as the 2 1/2 turns a mechanic told me that from the local marina

.I did not pay attention to that when I dis mantled the carb,but have since been told,by a fella from this siter 1 1/2 turns is the proper starting point

The proper adjustment procedure I have listed in a prior reply above.

Proper starting procedure is:

Pump fuel primer bulb up hard, advance the throttle slightly to take the setting off the dead idle setting, turn the key to the start position and push the key in to engage the primer solenoid to prime the engine. When the engine fires/starts, release the key to the normal run position.

On restarting a hot engine, it may not be necessary to prime the engine but if the engine refuses to even fire, engage the primer solenoid.

just went down to the boat to verify a good spark,top cylinder jumping all around,gapless plugs used,bottom plug no spark today,until the the very end of letting the ignition key go,might this be the issue,past days both plugs were strong.

just went down to the boat to verify a good spark,top cylinder jumping all around,gapless plugs used,bottom plug no spark today,until the the very end of letting the ignition key go,might this be the issue,past days both plugs were strong.

A spark test must be done with the spark plugs removed so as to obtain the highest cranking speed possible. Were the plugs out or in?

Those "surface gap" plugs, regardless of the heat range specified are a cold running plug which makes them very prone to fouling. I, and many others prefer the electrode plug which is the recommended Champion QL77JC4 plug, gaped at either .040 or .030 .

I put a spare plug into the opening then tested each actual plug individually,thanks for the reccomendeded,tried those plugs also,same problem,so I went back to the gapless plugs,they were in the motor when we bought the pontoon.

Back