Logo

Lifting points to haul a 318M out

pzvt

Folks;
Is there a particular

Folks;
Is there a particular bolt that can be removed at the front of the engine that I could add a lifting point for a chain. Need to haul the engine out and replace gas tanks? Other options???

Thanks in advance

"Smart move! You sound like a

"Smart move! You sound like an engineer.

I used to worry about the bolts snapping off until I saw a NASCAR engine pulling deal: they used the four, 5/16 carb studs. That's all!

Jeff"

"Patrick - there are empty bol

"Patrick - there are empty bolt holes on the ends of the heads (factory hooks were often bolted to in these areas). Connect the chain to the front of one head and rear of the opposing head and it'll be fairly well balanced. Make sure you place a couple of heavy, large diameter washers between the head of the bolts and the chain link that you insert the bolt through.

Keep a close eye on the mounts when you begin lifting the engine. You want to be sure the motor is sliding freely off of the mounts. If there’s any binding or tension you could end up yanking a mount out of a stringer (or whatever they’re secured to in your boat’s structure)."

....also if you aren't usi

....also if you aren't using an engine lifting chain put a bolt or something though one of the links near the hook because the engine will slip one way or the other even if it seems balanced.

Back