Logo

Lifting boat

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
"Ok so I'm tired of my boa

"Ok so I'm tired of my boat hitting the fenders on my trailer and I want to raise it.. I'm also going to put those poles on the side or slide rails which ever but first I want to raise the boat. the trailer is not the original and I want to move the bottom slide boards or what ever you call them...So my ? is what is the best way to lift the boat up so I can move these???? don't make fun of my dirt yard we haven't had rain in like 2 months here in Florida
sun.gif

170836.jpg

170837.jpg

170838.jpg
"

Just put the boat in the water

Just put the boat in the water and take all the tools and parts with you to the lake. That's what I'm going to do this summer. I need to replace all my bunks and carpet. Make sure you've got everything and get the job done quick. Maybe persuade some friends to help with the possibility of adult beverages.
I don't know quite how to go about raising the bunks. You might have to have new support pieces fabricated. Maybe the ones on your trailer can be raised? Just a thought.

"And then again, if you do not

"And then again, if you do not back the trailer so far into the water and allow the winch to pull the boat onto the trailer, the boat would self-center without hitting the fenders.
A well designed trailer should never require you to back into the water to the point the wheel bearings are below the water surface. Floating the boat onto the trailer is the lazy way to retrieve boat. You pay a lot for a good trailer - let it do its job. My trailers have always had original bearings from day bought to sold, usually 15 to 20 years later.
Just back into water til rear roller is at water surface, attach cable and winch boat up the rollers. Works like a charm and also prevents river currents from affecting the retrieval as the rollers guide the boat. That is what the trailer is designed to do.
As shown in the pictures, your trailer is not much diferent than my current EZ-Loader. The method I described works great on this design."

"They are commonly called &#34

"They are commonly called "bunks". No idea why.

Best way to adjust is put the boat in the water, pull the trailer out, and make your adjustments.
Its kind of hard to tell from the PIX, but it looks to me like you might already be at or near the top of your adjustable range.

Maybe you should put some type of bumper material on your fenders? Some heavy carpet or similar glued on would do the trick and prevent damage to your hull.
Just a thought.

Rod"

ok the lake or in the water th

ok the lake or in the water thing is not possible where I live cause the boat ramps around here are so busy this time of year in Florida that I would probably get a fine for working on anything at the dock.. so I was thinking of lifting it at home(dry) somehow and maybe replacing the bunks on th trailer.. any suggestions????

I suppose you could rig up a w

I suppose you could rig up a whole bunch of blocks and jack the bunks up in sections with a regular bottle jack. Sounds like a real PITA compared with doing it with the boat off the trailer.

Rod

"I want to get it off the trai

"I want to get it off the trailer but I want to dry store it at my house. I'm wanting to inspect the bottom of the boat and I have a small repair to do to the bottom of the boat also so I want to lift it but I don't want to put pressure where it shouldn't be, by lifting it wrong. can i lift it with a cherry picker and some rope on the eye hooks on the back of the boat or should I do something else??? not sure how to pick it up????"

"Don't think those eyes ar

"Don't think those eyes are designed to lift the boat.
I have seen a couple of boats at our lake that are sitting on blocks in peoples yards, so that could be done I guess. How they got them off the trailer I have no idea.

Rod"

"You wouldn't want to just

"You wouldn't want to just start jacking against any old part of the bottom. But you could jack near the back corners, as they will be quite strong. If you used something like a square of 2 x 12 x 12 with carpet on the top to spread the load, that should be safe enough.
When the lift big boats out of the water they use big heavy web slings front and rear.

Rod"

Those eyes are just for traile

Those eyes are just for trailering and not lifting. Lift w/crane and slings; let a dealer do it.

Back