Logo

Lifter/Valve tapping

makomike1

Contributing Member
I hear a tapping coming from my starboard engine, comes and goes. Not sure what it was, gauges looked good. I slowed down to check, its sounds like 1 of my valves or lifter is tapping. Is there a easy fix for this?? I have read some have used a product called seafoam to clean lifters/valves. Does this product work, would it hurt to try ? any suggestions? And will I hurt motor if I continue to run it ? The motor is a 1989 350 270hp crusader with carburetor. Thanks Mike

I hear a tapping coming from my starboard engine, comes and goes. Not sure what it was, gauges looked good. I slowed down to check, its sounds like 1 of my valves or lifter is tapping. Is there a easy fix for this??
First determine what is causing this tapping!

I have read some have used a product called seafoam to clean lifters/valves. Does this product work, would it hurt to try ? any suggestions?
Pull the valve covers and perform an 8 stop static cam follower adjustment.
Begin with #1 piston at TDC on C/S. Must be on C/S!!!!!!
Start with zero rocker-arm-to-valve-stem-lash at both Int and Exh valves.
Next adjust the rocker arm stud nut to specs.
This will place the cam follower's plunger at the correct depth.
Roll the engine over 90* and do the same to #8 cylinder.
Roll the engine over 90* again and do the same to #4.
Continue right down the firing order until you come back to #1.

And will I hurt Engine if I continue to run it ? The Engine is a 1989 350 270hp crusader with carburetor.
Excessive rocker-arm-to-valve-stem clearance can eventually damage the valve stem tip.

Thanks Mike

How many hours are on the engine?

My math shows its almost 30 years old if its original.....

As long as good oil is used and changed on schedule, the GM hydraulic valve train is very reliable without adjustments....

As long as good oil is used and changed on schedule, the GM hydraulic valve train is very reliable without adjustments....

.......... if the cam follower plunger depth was set correctly to begin with! :D

Back