Logo

LH vs RH Lower

ajv00303

Regular Contributor
I have twin std rotation '05 175 Evinrudes.
Found a LH rotation lower from a '03 200(?) Evinrude.
I am/was in the process of installing it on my port engine.
Before I tried installing, I noticed that the shift rod was different, so I swapped it w/ the one from my std rotation lower.
When trying to install on the port engine, it would not go all the way up.
After struggling for about an hour or so I realized the driveshaft is different!
The one from the '03 LH 200P is a bit longer so it would not go all the way up.
I'm thinking I could use the driveshaft from my other rh rotation lower.
Question: is it necessary to disassemble the lower to remove the driveshaft?
P/N for the '05 175HP RH driveshaft looks like 5000624, P/N for the '03 200HP LH driveshaft is 5007673.

UPDATE: I already removed the bearing carrier and loosened the pinion gear nut, but I can't get the driveshaft out of the pinion gear, think it's pressed in.
Any suggestions?
I hope I can use this driveshaft from my "donor" RH lower!
Not going to dismantle the LH lower until I get confirmation I can use this driveshaft!

It is not pressed in.----Hold lower unit 4" from ground by the driveshaft.----Use 2X4 and hammer and give lower unit a bump down.

Most come out in one piece , or the assembly od 2 pieces.-----Using a wedge between clutch dog and shaft also works.

Most come out in one piece , or the assembly od 2 pieces.-----Using a wedge between clutch dog and shaft also works.
Had a friend make me up one of these in our machine shop at work, hope the shaft comes out using this.
Nothing else is holding it, correct? I removed the driveshaft bearing housing assembly and the pinion nut, I think that's it!

s-l500.jpg

Just looked at LH parts and you will need to disassemble driveshaft for gearcase as it has a roll pin like the early 90's motor. Knock out pin then swap and reinstall it.

I got the other DS out w/o a problem.
Below is a pic of the 2 DS's, you can see the difference in length.
I also checked the markings on the pinion gears, same P/N....I should be good to go!
Need to order a seal Kit, pinion nut and washer before I go any further.

DS's.jpg

Knock out the roll pin on shaft on the right picture, and remove shaft. Install the driveshaft on left of picture into the one you knocked pin out and then reinstall pin. As long as you use the same lower stub shaft reshimming will not be necessary.

OK, continued progress! Swapped lower stub and installed in the lower w/ gear and pinion nut.
Question/opinion: do you think it's necessary to replace the prop shaft seals on the bearing carrier?
Forward gear assembly does not look too easy to remove in order to replace the seals.
Lower unit was not leaking prior to the project, all other seals/O-rings are being replaced
Tried a hammer/screwdriver on the indents in the

Was on vacation last week in ARUBA!
Was able to get 1 of the prop seals out before I left and plan to continue this week.

Back