Logo

Less happy with my 1977 6hp: precious parts unavailable ...

coteno

Hello!

I did this winter my basic maintenance (amateur mechanic) on my 300$ new-old 1977 6hp Johnson (thermostat, carb, impeller, roll pin, grease ...).
It started good in a baril and I was proud of my new toy UNTIL I discover that important parts where now unavailable (pistons, rings et +) at the main marine parts internet dealer

It is not that I need those parts for now but it is sad to know that this motor is really at the end of his live and I better be careful with it.

If needed I will have to search outboards scrapyard to find parts that will also be old and used.

That live! ... Experience has a price :)

Normand (Québec)

If you take good care of it, like I have my 65 Fisherman......it could easily outlive you. No need for pistons or ring replacement. Good oil, good gas, proper maintenance and operation, and proper storage......that's all it takes for 3500 plus hours of operation.

I regularly run my '66 6 hp. The head gasket shows the overspray from the factor paint, indicating everything inside is all from original assembly. The thing runs as well as I imagine it did back in 1966. I don't abuse it, but I also don't baby it. I run it like it's brand new, and on proper fuel. And I perform regular preventative maintenance.

These motors are built far better than the new plastic stuff.-------I take them apart all the time rarely do I see a worn out one.------Only enemy these motors have is water getting inside and on the needle bearings.

Agreed.....a sure step forward, is well guided by review of the past.....of "bulletproof" engineering and responsible manufacture. That old 65 Fisherman is a classic example of both. It's right there behind "Farmer" in my "new" avatar. Certainly can't troll with that Mark 30.

Last edited:
Back