Logo

Late 80's BF9.9A poor water pumping

NorthernBeek

I have a late 80's honda 9.9 long shaft. Freshwater use only. I've had the lower unit off, verified the pump is good, keyway is in the shaft, no obstructions. As long as the foot is adequately submerged in water, it will eventually pump water, but needs RPM's. I had the thermostat housing off at one point to verify nothing was plugged. Took forever to get water up to the engine, not just coming out of the telltale.

Is it normal for these motors to do a poor job of pumping water at idle?

I read a thread a while back of someone with a similar vintage motor on their sailboat (mine is also on a sailboat) and they struggled to get it to show at the telltale, and often appeared to lose cooling when the boat traveled in moderate waves and the foot wasn't well submerged.

Had mine out tonight, calm water, as low as it would go (and submerged below the highest cavitation plate), and it would only pee at mid-range or higher RPM. When I dropped to an idle it would appear to stop pumping. At one point while docking I had to put in neutral and bump up the rpm just to be sure it was cooling.

I do recall when I had it apart to check and recheck the waterpump (because it wouldn't pump in a barrel unless it was really deep), the water tube seemed sloppy where it entered the block. I couldn't find anything in the parts diagrams about a gasket/seal/oring up there. I also couldn't see up there and looked like the block had to come out of the frame to inspect. Whereas down at the pump end there is a seal to the water pipe. I triple checked all tubes are clear, air easily passes through, no obstructions could be found.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of issue?

Hi NorthernBeek,

Well, I don't know. I haven't worked on one of those.

The "slop" you feel with the water tube fitting up is concerning though because I have seen some bad damage to the tube enters the block on other models.

The good news is that I have used epoxy to repair that area with good results. The bad news is that you have to pull the powerhead to get in there.

The link below does list a grommet in the oil case that could be for the tube but the description is of no help so I don't know. See item 27.

Another thought is that you might want to look for old impeller pieces under the pump. They tend to break off and fall down in there. That could cause the slow priming you're seeing.

Back