Logo

Knocking sound lower unit Evinrude E-tec

Fred.Swe

Hello everyone! My first post here hope I´m doing okay.

I have a problem with knocking sound from the lower unit of my Evinrude e-tec 50 hp -2012.
Bought the boat this spring and before i put it in the water i changed to a new propeller and thrust washer.
When i tested the boat there was a knocking sound from the lower unit when I put it in gear. The knocking would increase with the rpm of the motor.
Changed back to the old propeller and now the knocking sound did not appear until about 3000 rpm with the old propeller.
I examined the new propeller that i tested first and found that there was a very clear scrape mark at one point on the side of the propeller. At that area where the propeller goes in to the lower unit.
Bent prop shaft I thought but it looked okay when i measured it.
Made a mark on the propeller where the scrape mark was and sanded it down at that point. Tested it again and it was much better.
The knocking sound now didn´t appear until about 3000rpm. Drove for a little bit and removed the propeller again.
And found that there was a new scrape mark att the exact same place as before! Sanded some more but it didn´t make any difference. Still knocks around 3000rpm.

Anyone have any idea of what could be the solution to my problem? Thanks!

Back