Logo

knock-off nut

I'm trying to figure out why my 45 hp 1979 Chrysler outboard wont start and I can't get to the Points
and condenser without removing the flywheel and that requires a knock-off nut. Now I figure the rest of
you guys all have one of these in your toolbox, but I don't, and I'm having trouble finding one.
Any ideas??

Picture 007.jpgPicture 005.jpgPicture 006.jpg

Knock off nut???
You need a big 3 jaw puller and an impact wrench and a big hammer.Loosen nut,then leave it on,so the stuff won't go flying.
Tighten the puller with the impact as tight as you can then a bit more.
GLOVES @@@ SAFETY GLASSES.Then hit the bolt with the hammer it should pop off.
If it doesn't work then tighten more.Then try again.

Knock off nut???

OK, Jerry, I get the msg about knock-off nut. I don't know what nut designed the thing but it's in the manual as an
essential tool for flywheel removal. I'm sure it's obsolete for a reason. Anyway, before I went to get the three jaw puller
I thought I'd try just one more time, to clean the carb the way that you recommended two weeks ago, taking all the
needle valves out for cleaning and spraying WD40 into all the little holes, then blowing the whole thing out with air. Then, as my assistant turned the key, (the boat is in the water, dockside.) I did a little choke assist with my hand, and what do you know, she started right up. And to think that all I had to do was replace one coil, rebuild the fuel
pump, replace the rectifier and circuit breaker, and clean the carburetor 3 times. But seriously Jerry, I really
appreciate all your expertise, experience and patient direction. I was about ready to give up. Much thanks. mm

Back