Logo

Killing outdrives 2000 5.0

hbbutler

I have a 2000 rinker 242 cruiser with a 5.0 mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 1.62/1 ratio. I just replaced the top end of the outdrive for the second time in 16 months. The first time I tore out the top gear spewing parts and wrecking the rest of the drive. This time the top bearing went and before it exploded I changed it out.. The drive is a replacement SEI drive and according to the original owner he replace the top end of the drive twice. Anyone have any ideas ? The drive died with 35 hours on it. Any help appreciated.. Im just trying to figure a way out of a bravo drive.

Re: Killing outdrives

I'd be taking a good look at the drive lube monitor jug and parts connecting to the drive.
most upper failures are due to low oil level

did that SEI no fault warranty cover it?

Drive was full of oil monitor was clean and full. The no fault warranty is for three years. they had replaced this one twice and it was just out of coverage

The problem is you have a BARGE!!

You are using a drive designed for a 17-21 ft boat.

The boat manufacturer should have or would have used a HEAVY DUTY gear set out drive when it was new.

The SEI you are using has a standard set of after market gears and can not handle the load, plain and simple.

What you should have is a BRAVO outdrive to handle the wieght/lack of power of the boat.

The problem is you have a BARGE!!

You are using a drive designed for a 17-21 ft boat.

The boat manufacturer should have or would have used a HEAVY DUTY gear set out drive when it was new.

The SEI you are using has a standard set of after market gears and can not handle the load, plain and simple.

What you should have is a BRAVO outdrive to handle the wieght/lack of power of the boat.
X 2, I agree, That is a big heavy boat you have there, and If I'm not mistaken I believe the gear ratio 1.62/1 you are running is more set up for a V6 engine and not the 5.0 V8 you are running.

Just curious on what your top speed is, what your top RPM's are, and what size prop are you running?

Also how do you use the boat? Slow, Cruise, Fast, Water ski, ect?

You think its fat in the water try pulling the thing down the road. u guys are right I have a pal that had the same boat 5.7l with BravII runs in the low 40's and hops on plane nice. Mine requires a bunch of tab to get it up but runs in the mid 30's . I love the boat spent the last year getting it just right. Guess im slowing down or spending a bunch if i need to go fast.

I have a 2000 rinker 242 cruiser with a 5.0 mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 1.62/1 ratio. I just replaced the top end of the outdrive for the second time in 16 months. The first time I tore out the top gear spewing parts and wrecking the rest of the drive. This time the top bearing went and before it exploded I changed it out.. The drive is a replacement SEI drive and according to the original owner he replace the top end of the drive twice. Anyone have any ideas ? The drive died with 35 hours on it. Any help appreciated.. Im just trying to figure a way out of a bravo drive.

did you ever do the engine alignment? if not aligned correctly this can damage the upper part of the drive . engine alignment can change .

what about the gimbal bearing ? was that replaced with the drives damaged or even checked .

Last edited:

here is the part # for the 1.50 heavy duty gear set 1841OA4

You will also need thinner bearings.

You sure this boat is worth it to you. I mean when your all said and done, the price of the boat will be the same as a boat with the correct motor and drive for one as big as the one you have now.

43-18410A4 was a heavy duty set for the Gen 1 drives, don't think it is avail or necessary in Gen 2- I *think* Gen2 1.5 might already have those gears..dunno about SEI though

I suppose going to a 1.5 upper might help though. more speed and less torque through it... with a bonus of more impeller water flow

unless you are already down to a 15P prop or something....

I'm sure the boat is well worth a lot to him. I would check into having a mercruiser A1G2 drive rebuilt to your specs. Check around sometimes you can find one that's been sitting in a boat shop that never sold or got picked up by the owner for cheaper. Even if you have to throw $2500 into that boat it's still worth it for a trouble free outdrive. And yes my first thought was engine alignment. Have it checked before installing more money onto the back of your boat.

Boat still don't have enough mojo, maybe a bravo, saw a boat that sunk with a bravo on it. maybe it'll show up on ebay.

Thanks for the advise guys. Got the boat back into the water this weekend and everything seemed fine. We did check the alignment and it was fine. Unless someone has a better idea i'm gonna look into the 1.5 gearset for a future replacement. Right now think ill push a little less with the right hand and let my wallet fatten back up as I have busted out another thousand too often.

Back