Logo

Keyed choke not working

bigge31566

I have 2004 Yamaha 115TXRC and when trying to cold start it will not crank, I can pull the manual choke on outboard motor and it starts right up, I can here the solenoid click in operation but seem to not be getting the gas

Get a friend to push in key as you look at the fuel enrichment (soleniod). There is "arm" the soleniod pulls up when key is pushed in. This arm is held in place to the carb lever by a very small o-ring. The carb lever opens/closes the valves. When key is pushed in, verify the the arm is closing the carb valves. It's possible the o-ring is not in place, thereby allowing the soleniod arm to become detached from carb lever. If parts are where they should be but the soleniod arm isn't fully retracting, volt test the wiring from ignition to soleniod.

I had a chance to check the choke today, choke was not engaging only able to get it to work a couple times, removed solenoid and wired straight from battery and it closes every time, put a test on wires coming from switch key and it lights up every time, reinstalled solenoid and barely works if any, put test between wire to solenoid and lights up but solenoid still doesn't engage, dont if im getting full power to solenoid

Sounds like you're not. If you don't have one, get a multimeter and do volt drop test on the circuit...check both pos/neg for resistance. The ground wire is most often the culprit.

Back